Is there a way to tell an hfs-textline to not throw and error if it cannot
find an input path. The use case I have is a job uses data from a previous
job as input for itself and then merged that data with another stream of
data. On the first run of the job there isn't going to be any previous
snapshot for the job to look at. The workaround I've used thusfar is to
just create the path and leave it empty for the previous snapshot and then
the hfs-textline doesn't complain. Is there a better way mimicking this
functionality without having to go create the folder path manually?

  • Sam Ritchie at Nov 5, 2013 at 12:30 am
    Good question - I had thought that it would go ahead and just return
    nothing? You could probably add a keyword argument here, or catch the
    exception (if you can get it to trigger in instantiation) and sub in an
    empty tap.

    Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
    Is there a way to tell an hfs-textline to not throw and error if it
    cannot find an input path. The use case I have is a job uses data from
    a previous job as input for itself and then merged that data with
    another stream of data. On the first run of the job there isn't going
    to be any previous snapshot for the job to look at. The workaround
    I've used thusfar is to just create the path and leave it empty for
    the previous snapshot and then the hfs-textline doesn't complain. Is
    there a better way mimicking this functionality without having to go
    create the folder path manually?
    Sam Ritchie, Twitter Inc
    703.662.1337
    @sritchie

  • Andrew Jorgensen at Nov 5, 2013 at 3:54 pm
    Yeah that's what I would have thought the expected behavior was. If I
    remember correctly it doesn't actually throw an error until you attempt to
    access the tap. For example doing something like: (let [empty-tap
    (hfs-textline "path/to/nowhere")] ... will work just fine and It will only
    return an error when you actually try to get data out of it. I'll have to
    play around and see if there is a graceful way of handling this.