The app deployment tasks in our firm require that certain steps be done by
sysadmin only, so scripts pause while some file or directory gets created,
before resuming.

Is there a way for ansible to cater or work around that? I believe plays
cannot be interactive....

Thanks

  • Tomasz Kontusz at Aug 4, 2014 at 6:46 pm

    The app deployment tasks in our firm require that certain steps be
    done by sysadmin only, so scripts pause while some file or directory
    gets created, before resuming.
    Is there a way for ansible to cater or work around that? I believe
    plays cannot be interactive....
    You can use pause or wait_for modules for that - first will wait for
    confirmation, second will wait for file/open port to show up.
    Thanks
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/b24a4bfa-8e63-4f1f-8fd2-07bcc3bb0a19%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/b24a4bfa-8e63-4f1f-8fd2-07bcc3bb0a19%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
  • Serge van Ginderachter at Aug 4, 2014 at 6:59 pm

    The app deployment tasks in our firm require that certain steps be done by
    sysadmin only, so scripts pause while some file or directory gets created,
    before resuming.

    Is there a way for ansible to cater or work around that? I believe
    plays cannot be interactive....

    ​There is a ​library/utilities/pause module which can wait with a prompt.

  • Michael DeHaan at Aug 4, 2014 at 8:18 pm
    Yep, exactly!

    I have considered implementing WS-HumanTask as a bad April Fools joke.

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CAEhzMJAbBmV1kAKMWVVa-Axs5K9be8b5Mv3ZcqO8q9E9r0rUCA%40mail.gmail.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CAEhzMJAbBmV1kAKMWVVa-Axs5K9be8b5Mv3ZcqO8q9E9r0rUCA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .