Hello All,

Would it be a good idea to have a policy that files cannot have trailing
white space? The problem is that some editors are set up to remove this
automatically, and when changing a file introduce a patch with trailing
white space removed.

If files do not have trailing white space (and there is no good reason to
have them, then simply using an editor that doesn't remove them
automatically), then this would never be a problem.

That would make contributing to ansible easier: you will never have to tell
a person to keep white space. Trailing white space can also be removed
automatically upon commit perhaps, so it can never be introduced
inadvertedly, or else such a commit can be rejected.

What does ansible think?

All the best,

Berend.

  • Michael DeHaan at Jul 25, 2014 at 10:49 pm
    Ansible doesn't care about trailing whitespace, and enjoys annoying those
    that have a problem with it.

    We do not accept patches to fix because that breaks line attribution.

    Would it be a good idea to have a policy that files cannot have trailing
    white space? The problem is that some editors are set up to remove this
    automatically, and when changing a file introduce a patch with trailing
    white space removed.

    If files do not have trailing white space (and there is no good reason to
    have them, then simply using an editor that doesn't remove them
    automatically), then this would never be a problem.

    That would make contributing to ansible easier: you will never have to
    tell a person to keep white space. Trailing white space can also be removed
    automatically upon commit perhaps, so it can never be introduced
    inadvertedly, or else such a commit can be rejected.

    What does ansible think?

    All the best,

    Berend.

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/baa04a08-f2c5-4241-bd3d-2fe72e13e52d%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/baa04a08-f2c5-4241-bd3d-2fe72e13e52d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .
  • Brian Coca at Jul 26, 2014 at 1:03 pm
    turn it off on your editor, but if you contribute any changes remove the
    trailing whitespace from those lines, eventually most of it will be removed.

  • Berend de Boer at Jul 28, 2014 at 9:07 pm

    if you contribute any changes remove the trailing whitespace from those
    lines, eventually most of it will be removed.
    If there is no policy from now on not to accept trailing white spaces, it
    will continually be introduced again.

  • Michael DeHaan at Jul 28, 2014 at 9:10 pm
    I think you miss the point where we don't care about removing trailing
    whitespace.

    So many millions of things that are a better use of our time, in the face
    of some absolutely awesome contributions and things to work on.

    if you contribute any changes remove the trailing whitespace from those
    lines, eventually most of it will be removed.
    If there is no policy from now on not to accept trailing white spaces, it
    will continually be introduced again.
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/86ab1f13-3c64-4c8b-bbf0-b5bc419ccd12%40googlegroups.com
    <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/86ab1f13-3c64-4c8b-bbf0-b5bc419ccd12%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .

  • Berend de Boer at Jul 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm