(I originally posted this message to android-developers, but it was
suggested that this list might be a better forum. Apologies for the
duplication to anyone on both lists.)

hi,

I noticed that in the currently-released source code of the MMS app,
there are two files, Divot.java and QuickContactDivot.java, both in the
com.android.mms.ui package, which contain in the header the following
copyright notice:

// Copyright 2011 Google Inc.
// All Rights Reserved.

This is especially odd given that the rest of the package is under the
Apache 2 license. I would like to adapt this code (and the related
images, msg_bubble_right and msg_bubble_left) for use in my application
but will not do so if it would violate some copyright of Google's.

Does anyone know if this copyright notice just a mistake, or if Google
actually intend to have a different licensing regime for these two files
than for the rest of the app? If the latter, do the related images also
fall under this stricter regime?

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can provide!

mlc

  • Jean-Baptiste Queru at Feb 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm
    Good catch. That was a mistake on our side, where those two files got
    copied from one of the Google proprietary apps but the
    copyright/license statements didn't get updated to reflect that.

    The fix (in the master branch) is here:
    https://android-review.googlesource.com/33270 - feel free to copy that
    back into whatever ICS branch you need.

    JBQ
[...]

    Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

    warning.

  • Mike castleman at Feb 27, 2012 at 7:46 pm
    Thanks for the quick response, Jean-Baptiste!

    mlc