Hello,

1) I want to study Android operating system source code and kernel
architecture. Please help me on regarding this. I am looking for good
books and video tutorial on this regarding.

2) Can we modify android kernel programming using windows operating
system or we should go for Linux operating system.

3) Whenever I googled, I am able to get lot of resources regarding
Android application level programming. I have a hard time regarding
finding out resources related to Android system level
programming(Kernel Programming).

4) I am basically .net developer, now I am having a descent knowledge
on developing Android application but I want to study android kernel
programming.

Regards,
Gautham

  • Pinas at Feb 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm
    Hello,

    I am currently trying to get some knowledge about Android too - I
    found following videos/papers/...

    Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_H4AlQaNa0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFqELLB1Kk8

    Two very good videos and the guy talking seems really sympathetic :)

    Papers/pdfs:
    Android platform based linux kernel rootki
    DEFCON-18-Lineberry-Not-The-Permissions-You-Are-Looking-For
    Android Porting Concepts
    Practical and Lightweight Domain Isolation on Android - Technische
    Universität Darmstadt
    --- I thought to have more papers

    Books:
    Understanding the Linux Kernel - since Android Kernel is a Linux
    Kernel
    Linux Device Drivers
    I have both books but since I am currently modifying the android
    framework they don't really help me.

    Well and I have quite a long list of Bookmarks which are more or less
    useful.

    I will definitely follow this thread and hope to find some new
    interesting stuff.

    2. I don't think that you can use Windows for what you want to do - at
    least it is not that comfortable.
    3. I think it's a lot about reading code, newsgroups, blogposts -
    asking questions in newsgroups and of course getting to know the linux
    kernel.

    Oh jea btw: If someone knows good sources to get information about
    android internals - I'd be happy for some tips/hints/...

    Greets

    Silvio

  • Karim Yaghmour at Feb 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm
    Hi,

    Since you're asking about books, maybe this can come in handy:
    http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920021094.do

    [ DISCLAIMER: I'm the author ;) ]

    There are no coding examples (yet) in the early release, but it should
    get you off the ground regarding understanding how the whole stack works.

    --
    Karim Yaghmour
    CEO - Opersys inc. / www.opersys.com
    1) I want to study Android operating system source code and kernel
    architecture. Please help me on regarding this. I am looking for good
    books and video tutorial on this regarding.

    2) Can we modify android kernel programming using windows operating
    system or we should go for Linux operating system.

    3) Whenever I googled, I am able to get lot of resources regarding
    Android application level programming. I have a hard time regarding
    finding out resources related to Android system level
    programming(Kernel Programming).

    4) I am basically .net developer, now I am having a descent knowledge
    on developing Android application but I want to study android kernel
    programming.

    Regards,
    Gautham

  • Pinas at Feb 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm
    Wow thats great - I'am waiting for the book since I first saw the
    Amazon Offer and now you linked this pre release :)

    Thx a lot :)
[...]

  • Karim Yaghmour at Feb 27, 2012 at 4:38 pm
    Most welcome. Books are non-linear endeavors, so it's a refreshing
    change to see O'Reilly adopt this format. My previous title (Building
    Embedded Linux Systems) took 2 years to get it out the door. Not having
    to wait that long this time around to see some of my writing be useful
    is great.

    More to come of course ... :)