I am building application that sends notifications to devices using HTTP
interface. Each notification contains unique payload so I have to make one
request for each message. Now I face a problem of sending a large ammount
of notifications (100 000) and I want to use multiple threads to make it a
little faster. The question is: how i honour Retry-After header or exponential
backoff algorythm when one of threads receives an error in response? The
documentation is not clear about this situation:

"If you're sending multiple messages, delay each one independently by an
additional random amount to avoid issuing a new request for all messages at
the same time"

Does this mean that in a situation when thread 1 of 10 is told to wait 2
seconds before retrying, I should delay all threads before they make new
request for let's say 2-3 seconds? What if the first thread to make a
request after the delay receives another error and should therefor wait for
4 seconds? Do I have to stop other threads from making request and make
them wait for another 4-6 seconds? I am not sure what to do. I don't want
to risk being blacklisted. Does anybody have a good solution for this
problem? I will be grateful for any suggestions.

Wojtek