First of all, I have attempted to use node-xmpp as a client to connect to
GCM server in order to send and receive messages to and from registered
android devices.
The server kept yielding authentication error, so I gave up and gave smack
library a try. Sadly I got the authentication error yet again, but learned
that my project is not whitelisted.
Quick search later I learned that upstream GCM (receiving from android
device) is not possible if project is not whitelisted, so I registered for
the whitelist.

My question is, is it not possible to use CSS (XMPP) method at all until
the project is whitelisted? I sure would prefer having a persistent
connection even if it can be used only for sending messages, that is until
project is whitelisted.