currently, when a event happens I send a notification to all users - more
than fifty thousand devices.

my server process loops through an HTTP connection for every thousand
registration ids. this usually takes fifteen to twenty minutes.

can I just fork those HTTP connections so they all happen basically
simultaneously? the idea would be to get delivery time down to a minute or
two.

will the GCM service accept this kind of hammering? or do I need to stick
with one connection at a time?

  • Costin Manolache at Mar 26, 2014 at 5:50 pm
    Yes, GCM accepts multiple connections - keep it to a reasonable level (
    <1000 if possible ), and absolutely backoff if
    you start getting 500s.

    You may also try to use XMPP connection, or a HTTP client that supports
    SPDY - both are more efficient on both ends.

    Costin

    currently, when a event happens I send a notification to all users - more
    than fifty thousand devices.

    my server process loops through an HTTP connection for every thousand
    registration ids. this usually takes fifteen to twenty minutes.

    can I just fork those HTTP connections so they all happen basically
    simultaneously? the idea would be to get delivery time down to a minute or
    two.

    will the GCM service accept this kind of hammering? or do I need to stick
    with one connection at a time?

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-gcm/222e0edd-9625-40d9-abac-190c9aebb9e8%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-gcm/222e0edd-9625-40d9-abac-190c9aebb9e8%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .
  • Kevin Quinn at Mar 26, 2014 at 6:06 pm
    excellent. thank you!