When network is down or if the connection between the device and GCM server
is down, upstreams are locally queued.
Once this queue exceeds 20 messages, subsequent messages are discarded and
a local intent is broadcasted (MESSAGE_TYPE_SEND_ERROR and
error=TooManyMessages).
When connection is up again, remaining messages in the queue are correctly
sent on kk.
On jb and ics (4.1.2, 4.2.2, 4.0.4) they are not, and sending messages
triggers the local intent.
Only a reboot forces the messages to be eventually sent.
All devices have the same, up to date, Google services.
As anyone observed this?

  • Francesco at Mar 20, 2014 at 11:32 pm
    Hi there,
    do you have gTalk or Hangouts installed on those jb and ics devices?

    When network is down or if the connection between the device and GCM
    server is down, upstreams are locally queued.
    Once this queue exceeds 20 messages, subsequent messages are discarded and
    a local intent is broadcasted (MESSAGE_TYPE_SEND_ERROR and
    error=TooManyMessages).
    When connection is up again, remaining messages in the queue are correctly
    sent on kk.
    On jb and ics (4.1.2, 4.2.2, 4.0.4) they are not, and sending messages
    triggers the local intent.
    Only a reboot forces the messages to be eventually sent.
    All devices have the same, up to date, Google services.
    As anyone observed this?

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-gcm/7356f08c-782a-45ca-9c6b-d5ff286a4b9a%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-gcm/7356f08c-782a-45ca-9c6b-d5ff286a4b9a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
    .
  • Flash Bump at Mar 21, 2014 at 11:55 am
    Hangouts is installed on the 4.2.2 device (S4). Can't check other devices right now, but they are in their initial setup, so either one of gtalk or hangouts should be installed.
    Thanks in advance.

  • Francesco at Mar 21, 2014 at 4:40 pm
    yeah I am interested in knowing whether the affected devices have gTalk or
    they upgraded to Hangouts. Anyways we are investigating.

    Hangouts is installed on the 4.2.2 device (S4). Can't check other devices
    right now, but they are in their initial setup, so either one of gtalk or
    hangouts should be installed.
    Thanks in advance.

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-gcm/be754ccf-52b9-4378-98a5-f7dc70572d0a%40googlegroups.com
    .
  • Flash Bump at Mar 21, 2014 at 4:49 pm
    I'll give you detailed gtalk/hangouts installation reporting quickly (next week).
    Feel free to ask use cases to run.

  • Flash Bump at Mar 24, 2014 at 11:06 am
    I checked the 3 devices. They all upgraded from gTalk to Hangouts, and
    share the same version (2.0.303 - 1004807-30) of it, same configuration as
    on the kk device.

    On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 4:55 AM, Flash Bump <com.fl...@gmail.com<javascript:>
    Hangouts is installed on the 4.2.2 device (S4). Can't check other devices
    right now, but they are in their initial setup, so either one of gtalk or
    hangouts should be installed.
    Thanks in advance.

    .
    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-gcm/be754ccf-52b9-4378-98a5-f7dc70572d0a%40googlegroups.com
    .
  • Flash Bump at Apr 10, 2014 at 9:41 am
    Hi, any insight on this one ?

    I checked the 3 devices. They all upgraded from gTalk to Hangouts, and
    share the same version (2.0.303 - 1004807-30) of it, same configuration as
    on the kk device.

    yeah I am interested in knowing whether the affected devices have gTalk
    or they upgraded to Hangouts. Anyways we are investigating.

    Hangouts is installed on the 4.2.2 device (S4). Can't check other
    devices right now, but they are in their initial setup, so either one of
    gtalk or hangouts should be installed.
    Thanks in advance.

    https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-gcm/be754ccf-52b9-4378-98a5-f7dc70572d0a%40googlegroups.com
    .
  • Flash Bump at Apr 23, 2014 at 3:54 pm
    As an information, today's new hangout upgrade does not appear to solve the
    above problem.