FAQ
Within a month, I may launch my first ad-supported app.

I am well aware that there a gazillion ad networks. I get an email from a
few every week, all claiming to offer the highest CPMs or whatever. I've
mostly ignored them since I haven't had ad supported apps.

But I would like to start with just one or a few. I don't want SDK bloat.

I believe admob is the biggest.
I believe airpush is the second biggest, but I would steer clear of them,
because even if I don't use push notification ads, Ad detectors will flag
me as being associated with airpush and therefore evil.

I also believe, based on agreements I have signed, that I am personally
liable for anything these ad networks show. Therefore, I don't know if I
can trust any of them, except maybe Admob. Have some ad networks gone out
of business since the standards were published?

In case it matters, the app in question is an arcade game I prototyped at
AnDevCon last week. It will show ads, not during gameplay, but on pause
menu or main menu. Potentially, it would have an "other apps to try" menu
button if the ad network supports that.

Nathan

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to android-discuss@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Search Discussions

  • John Coryat at Jun 10, 2013 at 7:03 pm
    We've been using AdMob (without mediation) for about a year. On average we
    see about $1.25 - $1.75 eCPM with 100% fill rate. I wouldn't use any other
    network for the "trust" reasons you specified in your post. With AdMob, you
    can easily add a house advertisement for pushing new versions or new apps
    that you develop.

    -John Coryat

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Discuss" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to android-discuss@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Nathan at Jun 10, 2013 at 10:28 pm
    Hmm,

    I just checked my AdMob account and it has been suspended. To my knowledge
    I haven't even used it since July of 2010, I've just used adwhirl with
    house ads but somehow I've gotten invalid clicks. I've stated such in my
    appeal.

    Not to stray from the main topic too much. . .

    Nathan

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Discuss" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to android-discuss@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • William Ferguson at Jun 11, 2013 at 4:37 am
    I'd advocate Admob (full disclosure, I'm a Google Dev Expert for Admob) but
    use the mediation capability. You can start out with having Admob as the
    only network in your mediation list but you'll have the flexibility of
    easily integrating others later.

    If you intend on showing ads between games/levels then you are most likely
    going to want to show interstitial ads rather than banner ads.

    William
    On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:36:04 AM UTC+10, Nathan wrote:

    Within a month, I may launch my first ad-supported app.

    I am well aware that there a gazillion ad networks. I get an email from a
    few every week, all claiming to offer the highest CPMs or whatever. I've
    mostly ignored them since I haven't had ad supported apps.

    But I would like to start with just one or a few. I don't want SDK bloat.

    I believe admob is the biggest.
    I believe airpush is the second biggest, but I would steer clear of them,
    because even if I don't use push notification ads, Ad detectors will flag
    me as being associated with airpush and therefore evil.

    I also believe, based on agreements I have signed, that I am personally
    liable for anything these ad networks show. Therefore, I don't know if I
    can trust any of them, except maybe Admob. Have some ad networks gone out
    of business since the standards were published?

    In case it matters, the app in question is an arcade game I prototyped at
    AnDevCon last week. It will show ads, not during gameplay, but on pause
    menu or main menu. Potentially, it would have an "other apps to try" menu
    button if the ad network supports that.

    Nathan
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Discuss" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to android-discuss@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Nathan at Jun 11, 2013 at 5:11 am

    On Monday, June 10, 2013 9:36:57 PM UTC-7, William Ferguson wrote:
    I'd advocate Admob (full disclosure, I'm a Google Dev Expert for Admob)
    but use the mediation capability. You can start out with having Admob as
    the only network in your mediation list but you'll have the flexibility of
    easily integrating others later.

    Sounds good, and I will consider AdMob if I am given the opportunity.
    If you intend on showing ads between games/levels then you are most likely
    going to want to show interstitial ads rather than banner ads.
    Want, maybe. But according to the documentation, I have to want that the
    same way I want to be featured in Google Play.
    "Paid interstitial ads, however, are only offered to a select group of
    publishers. If you become eligible, Google will be sure to contact you."

      Nathan

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Discuss" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to android-discuss@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • Christer Nordvik at Jun 11, 2013 at 10:30 am
    I wouldn't use AdMob if you want the fullscreen ads since only some
    developers like me have them available :-).

    AdColony has a nice SDK and nice eCPM but video ads kan be a bit annoying.
    Chartboost and Greystripe are both ad companies I would have no troble
    recommending or use MoPub if you want a mediation API.

    http://www.gamesbrief.com/2012/03/how-to-make-3000-per-day-from-advertising-in-your-free-to-play-game/


    kl. 07:11:46 UTC+2 tirsdag 11. juni 2013 skrev Nathan følgende:
    On Monday, June 10, 2013 9:36:57 PM UTC-7, William Ferguson wrote:

    I'd advocate Admob (full disclosure, I'm a Google Dev Expert for Admob)
    but use the mediation capability. You can start out with having Admob as
    the only network in your mediation list but you'll have the flexibility of
    easily integrating others later.

    Sounds good, and I will consider AdMob if I am given the opportunity.
    If you intend on showing ads between games/levels then you are most
    likely going to want to show interstitial ads rather than banner ads.
    Want, maybe. But according to the documentation, I have to want that the
    same way I want to be featured in Google Play.
    "Paid interstitial ads, however, are only offered to a select group of
    publishers. If you become eligible, Google will be sure to contact you."

    Nathan
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Discuss" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to android-discuss@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
  • William Ferguson at Jun 12, 2013 at 1:52 am
    Actually, Admob have started offering pay per click interstials to all, but
    their inventory is perhaps not great.

    But again, use mediation and you can include whatever other ad networks you
    would like to provide fill (in whatever order). I use Greystripe for and
    have written a Admob-Greystripe interstitial mediation adapter which you
    can find here:

    https://github.com/william-ferguson-au/Admob-CustomEvents/blob/master/adapters/src/main/java/au/com/xandar/admob/greystripe/GreystripeInterstitialAd.java

    William
    On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:30:30 PM UTC+10, Christer Nordvik wrote:

    I wouldn't use AdMob if you want the fullscreen ads since only some
    developers like me have them available :-).

    AdColony has a nice SDK and nice eCPM but video ads kan be a bit annoying.
    Chartboost and Greystripe are both ad companies I would have no troble
    recommending or use MoPub if you want a mediation API.


    http://www.gamesbrief.com/2012/03/how-to-make-3000-per-day-from-advertising-in-your-free-to-play-game/


    kl. 07:11:46 UTC+2 tirsdag 11. juni 2013 skrev Nathan følgende:
    On Monday, June 10, 2013 9:36:57 PM UTC-7, William Ferguson wrote:

    I'd advocate Admob (full disclosure, I'm a Google Dev Expert for Admob)
    but use the mediation capability. You can start out with having Admob as
    the only network in your mediation list but you'll have the flexibility of
    easily integrating others later.

    Sounds good, and I will consider AdMob if I am given the opportunity.
    If you intend on showing ads between games/levels then you are most
    likely going to want to show interstitial ads rather than banner ads.
    Want, maybe. But according to the documentation, I have to want that the
    same way I want to be featured in Google Play.
    "Paid interstitial ads, however, are only offered to a select group of
    publishers. If you become eligible, Google will be sure to contact you."

    Nathan
    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Discuss" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    To post to this group, send email to android-discuss@googlegroups.com.
    Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss?hl=en.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupandroid-discuss @
categoriesandroid
postedJun 10, '13 at 6:36p
activeJun 12, '13 at 1:52a
posts7
users4
websiteandroid.com

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2019 Grokbase