�We've got an application using FORMS 4.5 on Unix system. All database
errors are trapped on 'ON-ERROR' trigger in block level and an error message
is displayed at the bottom of the screen. It worked fine. Then, in
'WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED' trigger on commit button, I have inserted some code to

check a particular field on that block and display an informative alert if
it doesn't meet the validation rule. It works fine, giving a pop-up alert
window but all the database errors are coming up with pop-up windows as well
as an error message at the bottom of the screen. (Our users don't like to
see the pop-up window for all errors.

When I delete the code from commit button, it works fine. I have tried with
'MESSAGE_LEVEL' figures and few other without any luck.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA.

Search Discussions

  • Muthusamy, Chella at Jan 19, 1996 at 12:07 am
    �We've got an application using FORMS 4.5 on Unix system. All database
    errors are trapped on 'ON-ERROR' trigger in block level and an error message
    is displayed at the bottom of the screen. It worked fine. Then, in
    'WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED' trigger on commit button, I have inserted some code to

    check a particular field on that block and display an informative alert if
    it doesn't meet the validation rule. It works fine, giving a pop-up alert
    window but all the database errors are coming up with pop-up windows as well
    as an error message at the bottom of the screen. (Our users don't like to
    see the pop-up window for all errors.)

    When I delete the code from commit button, it works fine. I have tried with
    'MESSAGE_LEVEL' figures and few others without any luck.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    TIA.
  • Bobby Spears at Jan 20, 1996 at 6:33 pm
    Chella,

    It sounds like the problem is in the series of messages you're displaying. What
    happens
    is similar to the older versions of Forms where if the application has more than
    one
    sequential message to display in the message bar, instead of overwriting each
    message (in
    effect, this means that you would only ever see the last message in a series of
    applicable
    meaasges) with the next one that applies, Forms makes you verify that you read
    the current
    message before it shows you the next one. This is done in Forms 4.5 with an
    alert box.
    Once you've verified that you've seen the current message then it will go on to
    the next
    one.

    In your example, when you removed the "commit button" code, you removed the next
    message.
    Therefore, the old message (errors or whatever) could be displayed at the bottom
    of the
    screen without fear of being immediately overwritten.

    Now, to fix it... I've been working with forms since 2.3, and I haven't found
    any way to
    circumvent this behavior. Maybe someone else out there knows of some way.
    Barring that,
    I would say spend some time rearranging your messages so that control is
    returned to the
    user between each message somehow.

    HTH

    Bobby Spears (Via Maggie) bobby_at_neta.com
    Oracle Corporation bspears_at_us.oracle.com
    (602)941-6826 Phoenix, AZ

    "Feel the fear... and do it anyway."

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJan 16, '96 at 11:23p
activeJan 20, '96 at 6:33p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Muthusamy, Chella: 2 posts Bobby Spears: 1 post