I'm the sole DBA at my shop. This means that I'm pretty much always on call
- on vacations and what not.

My boss wants to get me a backup and has someone willing to start heading
down the DBA track.

Wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations on either books or
classes to introduce someone to Oracle and get them started on the path.

When I was starting out I read a couple of books to get me started - there
was a series of books from Oracle Press as I recalled in the "101" series -
Oracle DBA 101, Backup 101, Performance Tuning 101 etc that were published
in 2002. This got me some good early information.

So, basically looking for people's opinions on some later books (more
relevant to 11g) and what the offerings from Oracle University (or other
training companies) are like in order to get someone started down the path
of DBA-dom.

Thanks for any input

Steve

Search Discussions

  • Christopher Taylor2 at Nov 16, 2012 at 9:57 pm
    Check this path out:

    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:Datab11g

    Chris

[...]

  • Christopher Taylor2 at Nov 16, 2012 at 10:02 pm
    Ooops missed a piece:

    Oracle University Home
    100% Student Satisfaction
    Certification
    Course Schedule
    Personalized Catalog
    Help
    Learning Credits
    Learning Paths
    Discount Packages
    Training by Format
    Training On Demand
    Classroom Training
    Live Virtual Class
    Custom Training
    Private Events
    Self-Study Courses
    Training by Job Role
    Training Location Details
    User Adoption Services
    Worldwide Sites
    Oracle Certification
    Certification Paths
    Exams
    Preparation
    Support
    Benefits
    News and Community
    DATABASE CERTIFICATION HANDS-ON COURSE LIST
    Oracle9i Database Administrator Certified Professional
    Oracle Database 10g Administrator Certified Professional
    Oracle Database 10g Administrator Certified Master
    Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional
    Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Master
    Oracle Database 10g: Real Application Clusters Administrator Certified Expert
    Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle RAC 11g Release 2 and Grid Infrastructure Administrator
    Oracle 10g: Managing Oracle on Linux Certified Expert
    Oracle Database 11g Performance Tuning Expert

    The courses below will count toward the certification under which they are listed. If you need clarification on a specific certification path, please visit the track page for that path.
    Please Note: Lists are subject to periodic updates.
    Oracle9i Database Administrator Certified Professional
    Show/Hide
    Back to top

    Oracle Database 10g Administrator Certified Professional
    Show/Hide
    Back to top

    Oracle Database 10g Administrator Certified Master

    Please note that if you use one of these courses to qualify for your OCP certification, you may not use the same course to meet the OCM requirement of 2 advanced hands-on courses.

    Show/Hide
    Back to top

    Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional

    These are some of the classes for the "hands on" requirement for certification (the hands on requirement must come from this list but you don't have to have all of these). I'd focus on the fundamentals

    Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop I Release 2
    Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop II Release 2

    Oracle Database 11g: Data Warehousing Fundamentals
    Oracle 11g: RAC and Grid Infrastructure Administration Accelerated Release 2
    Oracle Database: Develop PL/SQL Program Units
    Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop II
    Oracle Database 11g: Data Warehousing Fundamentals
    Oracle Database: Introduction to SQL
    Oracle Database: Introduction to SQL/PLSQL Accelerated
    Oracle Database: SQL and PL/SQL Fundamentals
    Oracle Database: Introduction to SQL/PLSQL Accelerated
    Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop I Release 2
    Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop II Release 2
    Oracle Grid Infrastructure 11g: Manage Clusterware and ASM
    Using Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Ed 1
    Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop I
    Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop II
    Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Master courses will also fulfill the training requirement for this certification (please note that if you use one of the 10g DBA OCM courses to fulfill the training requirement for OCP, you will not be able to use the same course to fulfill one of the 2 course requirements for OCM.)
    These earlier courses count toward certification but are no longer being scheduled:
    Oracle Database 11g: Introduction to SQL
    Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals I
    Oracle Database 11g: SQL and PL/SQL Fundamentals
    Oracle Database 11g: Develop PL/SQL Program Units

[...]

  • TJ Kiernan at Nov 16, 2012 at 11:11 pm
    I'm in a similar position (only DBA), and if I had some help coming in, I'd probably require book reports on these before I gave a newbie DBA login credentials to the test instance:
    http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Oracle-Database-Architecture-Programming/dp/1430229462/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353106515&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-RMAN-Backup-Recovery-Press/dp/0071628606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353106358&sr=8-1

    I've been the sole DBA for the 3 years I've been a DBA, and the foundational knowledge about how stuff works I've gained from these books (plus subscribing to lists like this & following blogs) is how I've managed to be successful without a mentor.

    Performance tuning is important as well, but understanding first how Oracle works (Tom Kyte's book) and second how backup & recovery work (the MOST critical job skill) will form the foundation for the rest of the job and make any subsequent training, conferences, webinars, etc far more impactful than going in completely green.

    Thanks,
    T. J.

[...]

  • Guillermo Alan Bort at Nov 16, 2012 at 11:24 pm
    Training a newbie DBA is one of my favorite tasks :-P
    My approach to these situations is first to make sure he has enough time to
    actually learn anything. Then I start by giving him my OU 9i Oracle Admin
    Workshop 1 books. Now, I have nothing against GUI, OEM is a pretty good
    tool for a lot of things, so is TOAD... but I've often found Sr. DBAs that
    claimed they couldn't do something because TOAD was broken or OEM was down.
    The 9i books do a good enough job of explaining core concepts.

    After that I book a meeting two to six hours a week (depending on workload)
    and dedicate that time to explain the new DBA either core concepts,
    site-specific stuff (like RAC, DG, etc) or explain in deep detail the
    architecture and layout of the specific site. Then comes my favorite
    talk... I know some people find it boring, but some actually find it
    engaging. It's basically a walk by the whole process that is involved in a
    transaction. There was a very good slide about it in the 10g workshop 2 or
    the 10g Performance Tuning course. I try to make this as interactive as
    possible, as he's already supposed to have read about it.

    The rest of the time during the first few months I start assigning simple
    tasks (as simple as possible) to him. First with the strict instruction of
    showing me what he's going to do beforehand if it's not a dev environment.
    I will often times assing a low priority research task, like a Metric
    Collection Error in an dev OEM Agent. It's a good way to get him to start
    familiarizing himself with the inner workings of Oracle and Metalink.

    Finally, I usually encourage him to deploy a couple of VMs, and install
    both OS and Oracle, deploy RAC and DG until he can do it without much
    thought. It's also a wonderful place to test stuff before going to actual
    functioning databases.

    I've used this same method with 5 different people. So far it's worked, but
    it depends on how curious the new dba is.

    I know this is a lot of work, but in the long run I think it's been worth
    the effort.

    Aaaand, if all that was unhelpful, you may want to consider recommending
    the Official Oracle courses... they are not cheap, but they are usually
    good. at least the core admin ones.

    hth
    Alan.-

[...]

  • Thomas Roach at Nov 17, 2012 at 1:02 am
    I think some of the best material is the Oracle documentation, which you
    can access for free at tahiti.oracle.com (or docs.oracle.com).
    teach you a whole heck of a lot. If you aren't a do-it-yourself person,
    then Oracle university can help with classes and so can going to
    conferences like Collaborate and OpenWorld help.
    Where should a beginner start? The concepts guide @ tahiti.oracle.com or
    docs.oracle.com.

    Good Luck

    Tom

    On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Guillermo Alan Bort
[...]

    813-404-6066
    troach@gmail.com

  • Lukas Lehner at Nov 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm
    disclaimer: I am myself novice SQL programmer and DBA (but with a
    backgroundof 12 years HP-UX administration)
    I recommend certification from Oracle University:

    Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate
    - Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals I
    - Oracle Database 11g: Administration I

    Oracle Database SQL Expert
    - exam 1Z0-047

    there are study guides on Amazon.com and official Oracle training. During
    preparing for those 3 exams he will be learn a lot. Those exams are very
    complicated for novice. It's real hard work and won't be achievable without
    practice.

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedNov 16, '12 at 9:52p