I have a DB Server that's currently running Win 2003 SP2 32-bit and Oracle
10.2.0.4.

We're moving the machine to a new physical location - well, actually, it's a
new machine that we're going to copy the data files over to in the new
location.

DB version will be the same, Server Admin wants to use the opportunity to
upgrade to OS to Win 2003 R2 SP2 32-bit.

I don't think that's going to cause Oracle any issues (for example, you
apply an Oracle software upgrade, you need to run the patch upgrade scripts
etc) but I haven't been able to find any evidence one way or the other so
far.

Anyone have any evidence one way or the other as to whether we can do this
and if there will be any database issues? Server admin would really like
to upgrade the Operating System for longer term viability (this database
won't be being upgraded any time soon) but I also don't want to see any
issues with the database either.

Thanks,
Steve

Search Discussions

  • Bobak, Mark at Sep 18, 2012 at 1:21 am
    Check 'Certifications' on MOS. (I think you'll find it's supported.)

    -Mark

[...]

  • Steve Wales at Sep 18, 2012 at 1:50 am
    I know that it is supported, that was the first thing I checked this
    afternoon.

    I'm more concerned about any hidden gotcha's from doing shutdown on one
    server (2003), copying data files to 2003R2 and doing the startup.

    I haven't found any concerns and I think Oracle won't care (I'm hoping it
    shrugs its virtual shoulders and says "Meh, Windows is Windows, I don't
    care", but I don't want them to build an R2 server and then find out that it
    won't work and then have to make them build a 2003 server.

    Steve

    Check 'Certifications' on MOS. (I think you'll find it's supported.)

    -Mark

  • Uzzell, Stephan at Sep 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm
    I haven't done the exact migration you're describing, but similar: we migrated a handful of databases from 2003 R2 x64 to 2008 R2 x64. No issues. Oracle did not seem to care.

    Stephan Uzzell