Hi
Can someone share his experience in upgrading some big databases like 1Tb or so from 10g to 11g and also moving them to new server.
I had few database running in 10g and has to be moved to new server with 11g. So looking for some suggestion and any URl/Metalink Doc for reference.

One of them can be
1. Create standby server for 10g on new server
2. Install Oracle 11g with all required Paches
3. stop the primary and activate the Standby server
4. Upgrade the Standby server with 11g Software already installed

This process will save in installing Oracle 11g and performing any datapump export/import and save big downtime to few hours only while upgrading the environment.

Any more suggestions or reference will be helpful

TIA
Sanjay

Search Discussions

  • Steve Harville at Aug 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm
    Hi Sanjay, I recently moved a 2TB database from Linux, Oracle 11.1 to AIX,
    Oracle 11.2 using impdp with network_link and parallel options. The data
    was imported in about two hours and the indexes took another 7 hours. There
    was no downtime but we kept the users off the system while this was
    happening.
    Steve Harville

    http://SteveHarville.com

    Can someone share his experience in upgrading some big databases like 1Tb
    or so from 10g to 11g and also moving them to new server.

  • Kamus at Aug 26, 2012 at 4:32 pm
    We did a lot of database migration and upgrade works in the past few years, from 9i to 10g to 11g.
    Yes, the method you mentioned is the best process if source and target has the same platform, incase you can't use Data Guard due to different platform, you can use Goldengate (or MV refresh if has budget concern) to sync data before downtime. In this process, the initial data load is the most difficult part, you have to consider how to split the big tables into little pieces (if unfortunately in your database has some big tables without partition) to make initial works quickly to avoid ORA-1555 error.
    --
    Kamus <kamusis@gmail.com>

    Visit my blog for more : http://www.dbform.com
    Join ACOUG: http://www.acoug.org

    Can someone share his experience in upgrading some big databases like 1Tb or so from 10g to 11g and also moving them to new server.
    I had few database running in 10g and has to be moved to new server with 11g. So looking for some suggestion and any URl/Metalink Doc for reference.

    One of them can be
    1. Create standby server for 10g on new server
    2. Install Oracle 11g with all required Paches
    3. stop the primary and activate the Standby server
    4. Upgrade the Standby server with 11g Software already installed

    This process will save in installing Oracle 11g and performing any datapump export/import and save big downtime to few hours only while upgrading the environment.

    Any more suggestions or reference will be helpful

    TIA
    Sanjay

  • Steve Harville at Aug 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm
    Here is the command I used on the new server:
    nohup impdp system/secret NETWORK_LINK=olddb FULL=y PARALLEL=25 &

    Then you can run this to see which parallel process is importing which
    table:

    Impdp system attach

    Import> status

    Import> parallel=30 << this will increase the parallel processes if you want

    I had created all the datafiles in the new database and created a db link
    named olddb beforehand. The servers were on the same local area network and
    the network was the bottleneck.

    Steve Harville

    http://SteveHarville.com

    Can you please share some detail on the option used in the impdp ?
    Is Parallel allowed for this option to run multiple slaves ?

    Thanks

    ------------------------------
    Hi Sanjay, I recently moved a 2TB database from Linux, Oracle 11.1 to AIX,
    Oracle 11.2 using impdp with network_link and parallel options. The data
    was imported in about two hours and the indexes took another 5 hours. There
[...]

  • Sanjay Mishra at Aug 28, 2012 at 1:41 am
    Thanks Steve.

    ________________________________
    Here is the command I used on the new server:
    nohup impdp system/secret NETWORK_LINK=olddb FULL=y  PARALLEL% &

    Then you can run this to see which parallel process is importing which
    table:

    Impdp system attach

    Import> status

    Import> parallel0 << this will increase the parallel processes if you want

    I had created all the datafiles in the new database and created a db link
    named olddb beforehand. The servers were on the same local area network and
    the network was the bottleneck.

    Steve Harville

    http://SteveHarville.com

    Can you please share some detail on the option used in the impdp ?
    Is Parallel allowed for this option to run multiple slaves ?

    Thanks

    ------------------------------
    Hi Sanjay, I recently moved a 2TB database from Linux, Oracle 11.1 to AIX,
    Oracle 11.2 using impdp with network_link and parallel options. The data
    was imported in about two hours and the indexes took another 5 hours. There
    was no downtime but we kept the users off the system while this was
    happening.

    Steve Harville

    http://SteveHarville.com

    Can someone share his experience in upgrading some big databases like 1Tb
    or so from 10g to 11g and also moving them to new server.
    I had few database running in 10g and has to be moved to new server with
    11g. So looking for some suggestion and any URl/Metalink Doc for reference.

    One of them can be
    1. Create standby server for 10g on new server
    2. Install Oracle 11g with all required Paches
    3. stop the primary and activate the Standby server
    4. Upgrade the Standby server with 11g Software already installed

    This process will save in installing Oracle 11g and performing any
    datapump export/import and save big downtime to few hours only while
    upgrading the environment.

    Any more suggestions or reference will be helpful

    TIA
    Sanjay

  • Jared Still at Oct 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm