Today we had a major data corruption happen from a user process and had to
roll back production to before the process happened.

What I thought I did was this:

1. Copy Prod to Test as of the point in time of the rollback decision.
(5/2/2012 16:00)
2. Recover Prod to the requested point in time (5/2/2012 11:00)

This then would give the users a system to look into in order to make sure
that other data unrelated to the corruption could be re-entered without
anything being missed.

However, I just realized that I screwed up the time on the test duplication
and not all the data is there.

Since at the end of the prod recovery I did a resetlogs, I have a new
incarnation of the database - I'm pretty sure the backup chain before the
resetlogs is invalid and I can't just go and duplicate until time to a point
in time before the resetlogs - I haven't tested it because I don't want to
mess anything up.

I found a white paper about restoring a database when you only have the
backup files, but that's not quite what I need.

I need to be able to duplicate a database (create test, from prod backups)
to a point in time before the reset logs, just using the backup files. I
have the backups of spfile, control files and the full, incremental and
archive logs on disk from the last 14 days.

Haven't been able to find instructions on this one yet and I really would
prefer to have the correct version of the test database available in the
morning.

Anyone have some pointers on this one ?

Thanks
Steve

Search Discussions

  • Steve Wales at May 3, 2012 at 3:13 am
    Was data that was updated incorrectly beyond the ability to repair manually
    on a massive scale.

    Already done recovery from backup in prod, new incarnation, so can't
    flashback anything past RESETLOGS

    And my test DB copy that I did before the restore didn't go far enough into
    the future

    Steve