Hi All,
I am asking a very basic question.

Can we use 169.254.1.11 & 169.254.1.12 as private IP's for RAC 2 node
cluster?
(basically any 169.254.x.x )

we just have 1 private NIC for each node.

version: 11.2.0.3 rac
RHEL 5.8

Thanks in advance

krishna

Search Discussions

  • Andrew Kerber at Apr 6, 2012 at 3:04 am
    Basic answer. yes you can.
    Can we use 169.254.1.11 & 169.254.1.12 as private IP's for RAC 2 node
    cluster?
    (basically any 169.254.x.x )

    we just have 1 private NIC for each node.

    version: 11.2.0.3 rac
    RHEL 5.8

    Thanks in advance

    krishna

    Andrew W. Kerber

  • Krishna at Apr 6, 2012 at 3:13 am
    Hi,
    I am installing RAC on a new server(11.2.0.3 on RHEL 5.8). I have got the
    error below.

    Cause - Installer has detected that network interface bond0 does not
    maintain connectivity on all cluster nodes. Action - Ensure that the chosen
    interface has been configured across all cluster nodes. Additional
    Information:
    The work directory "/tmp/" cannot be used on any of the nodes Summary of
    the failed nodes nodedb01 - The work directory "/tmp/" cannot be used on
    node "nodedb01" nodedb02 - The work directory "/tmp/" cannot be used on
    node "nodedb02"

    i have disabled the bonding now. Even then, I am getting the same error on
    interface eth0 for public & eth2 for private..
    I have eth0 for public & eth2 for private on both nodes..

    can anybody throw some light on why I am getting the above error?

    Thanks
    krishna
    Can we use 169.254.1.11 & 169.254.1.12 as private IP's for RAC 2 node
    cluster?
    (basically any 169.254.x.x )

    we just have 1 private NIC for each node.

    version: 11.2.0.3 rac
    RHEL 5.8

    Thanks in advance

    krishna

    Andrew W. Kerber

  • D'Hooge Freek at Apr 6, 2012 at 7:57 am
    I think the 169.254.0.0/16 subnet is used for autoconfiguration ip addresses.
    Which are addresses that are self assigned after verifying that no one else is using it by sending out an arp ping (for instance, in case when the dhcp server is not giving out an address).

    You should not use them when statistically assigning an ip address.

    Oracle is using ip addresses in this range for the private network as part of the high available ip address (HAIP) functionality (which is also the reason multicast's must be allowed between the different nodes).

    Regards,

    Freek D'Hooge
    Uptime
    Oracle Database Administrator
    email: freek.dhooge@uptime.be
    tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
    http://www.uptime.be
[...]

  • Radoulov, Dimitre at Apr 6, 2012 at 8:12 am
    Hi Krishna,
    as already stated, the 169.254.*.* is used by GI automatically:

    11gR2 Grid Infrastructure Redundant Interconnect and
    ora.cluster_interconnect.haip [ID 1210883.1]

    Grid automatically picks free link local addresses from reserved
    169.254.*.* subnet for HAIP. According to RFC-3927, link local subnet
    169.254.*.* should not be used for any other purpose. With HAIP, by
    default, interconnect traffic will be load balanced across all active
    interconnect interfaces, and corresponding HAIP address will be failed
    over transparently to other adapters if one fails or becomes
    non-communicative. .

    Dimitre

    I think the 169.254.0.0/16 subnet is used for autoconfiguration ip addresses.
    Which are addresses that are self assigned after verifying that no one else is using it by sending out an arp ping (for instance, in case when the dhcp server is not giving out an address).

    You should not use them when statistically assigning an ip address.

    Oracle is using ip addresses in this range for the private network as part of the high available ip address (HAIP) functionality (which is also the reason multicast's must be allowed between the different nodes). [...]
    Can we use 169.254.1.11& 169.254.1.12 as private IP's for RAC 2 node
    cluster?
    (basically any 169.254.x.x )

    we just have 1 private NIC for each node.

    version: 11.2.0.3 rac
    RHEL 5.8

  • Radoulov, Dimitre at Apr 6, 2012 at 8:17 am
    Just to add that I noticed that the subnet 169.254.*.* will be used
    even if you define a single interface for the interconnect.

    Dimitre
[...]

  • Goran bogdanovic at Apr 6, 2012 at 9:25 am
    pay attention on
    *
    *
    *Bug 10389682: HAIP INTERCONNECT DOES NOT WORK IF IP ADDRESSES ARE IN THE
    SAME SUBNET*
    if you use more than one NIC for interconnect ...

    goran

[...]

    [...]
    Can we use 169.254.1.11& 169.254.1.12 as private IP's for RAC 2 node
    cluster?
    (basically any 169.254.x.x )

    we just have 1 private NIC for each node.

    version: 11.2.0.3 rac
    RHEL 5.8

  • Radoulov, Dimitre at Apr 6, 2012 at 10:05 am
    Thanks Goran!
    One of our customers is using bonding for the private Interconnect
    (every node has 4 NICs - 2 in bond for the public
    and 2 for the private network, GI sees bond0 and bond1).
    Initially separate private vlans were used for the Interconnect and,
    during an HA test, disabling one of the NICs
    in bond on one of the nodes completely broke the communication. After
    that we configured all interfaces used
    for the Interconnect in the same pvlan and after rebooting the nodes,
    all worked well.

    This issue is of course different as the customer is using bonding and
    not GI's HAIP directly
    for Interconnect redundancy.

    Regards
    Dimitre

[...]

  • D'Hooge Freek at Apr 6, 2012 at 10:29 am
    Dimitre,

    How can you assign a different vlan on network ports that are part of the same bond?
    I would think this would break your bonding, meaning you tested on a bond that has only 1 working network port to begin with.

    The reason why you need to use separate subnets when using HAIP with multiple nics is the os routing. When you have multiple ip addresses in the same subnet on a server, it is the routing table which determines the interface to be used for outgoing traffic.
    If that interface fails, the routing table will not be changed and thus all communications break.

    This is also the reason why one should not use ifdown to test network failures.
    It does things to cleanly, like removing the entry for that interface from the routing table.

    Kind regards,

[...]

  • Radoulov, Dimitre at Apr 6, 2012 at 10:42 am
    Hi Freek,