Hello oracle-l,
Has anyone done 11.201 to 11.202 in place upgrade for any of your databases
on Linux. The manual seems to be for a new location upgrade. We are
interested in knowing the steps for doing an in-place upgrade. Any pointers
will help.

Carlos.

Search Discussions

  • C P at Apr 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm
    Forgot to mention one more thing. This is a rac and asm database.
    CP
    Has anyone done 11.201 to 11.202 in place upgrade for any of your
    databases on Linux. The manual seems to be for a new location upgrade. We
    are interested in knowing the steps for doing an in-place upgrade. Any
    pointers will help.

    Carlos.

  • Andrew Kerber at Apr 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm
    Oracle documentation officially says that you have to do an out of place
    upgrade for 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.2. I have never tried any other kind, the
    out of place goes real smoothly usually.
    Forgot to mention one more thing. This is a rac and asm database.
    CP
    Has anyone done 11.201 to 11.202 in place upgrade for any of your
    databases on Linux. The manual seems to be for a new location upgrade. We
    are interested in knowing the steps for doing an in-place upgrade. Any
    pointers will help.

    Carlos.

    Andrew W. Kerber

  • Tim Gorman at Apr 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm
    Carlos,
    The documentation is accurate and be sure to follow it, but don't think that you have a choice with the "new location" advice and that you can just upgrade your existing ORACLE_HOME in-place.

    Starting with 11.2.0.2, a new ORACLE_HOME directory is mandatory for all new versions past the 4th digit of the version. For example, you need a new ORACLE_HOME to go from 11.2.0.1.x to 11.2.0.y.z (where "y" is greater than "x"); you don't need a new ORACLE_HOME if you are patching from 11.2.0.2.x to 11.2.0.2.z (where "z" is greater than "x"). So, figure on needing at least 8-9 Gb of free space in the file-systems where your ORACLE_HOME directories reside, on each node.

    Although the Oracle Universal Installer uses the "cluvfy" utility itself, it is a really good idea to download "cluvfy" from the otn.oracle.com website for your platform and learn how to use it, and use it extensively before you attempt installation. In fact, I'd recommend not even attempting to run the OUI until commands such as "cluvfy stage -pre [ crsinst | dbinst | dbcfg ]" come back completely succesful, or else you're satisfied that the issues discovered are non-issues for you.

    Good luck,

    Tim Gorman
    consultant => Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc.
    postal => PO Box 352151, Westminster CO 80035
    email => Tim@EvDBT.com
    mobile => +1-303-885-4526
    fax => +1-303-484-3608
    Lost Data? => http://www.ora600.be/ for info about DUDE...