Hi lists

Maybe this is the question you do not think it should be the question.

for FAL_SERVER and FAL_CLIENT parameter in Data Guard (PRIMARY and STANDBY):

1. As all we know:
in Primary site:
FAL_SERVER=STANDBY
FAL_CLIENT=PRIMARY

in Standby site:
FAL_SERVER=PRIMARY
FAL_CLIENT=STANDBY

2. As oracle documentation said:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25513/initparams086.htm#REFRN10056

FAL_SERVER
specifies the FAL (fetch archive log) server for a standby database. The value is an Oracle Net service name, which is assumed to be configured properly on the standby database system to point to the desired FAL server.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25513/initparams085.htm

FAL_CLIENT
specifies the FAL (fetch archive log) client name that is used by the FAL service, configured through the
FAL_SERVER initialization parameter, to refer to the FAL client. The value is an Oracle Net service name, which is assumed to be configured properly on the FAL server system to point to the FAL client (standby database).

If I'm not misunderstanding, it should be:
in Primary site:
FAL_SERVER= STANDBY
FAL_CLIENT= STANDBY

in Standby site:
FAL_SERVER=PRIMARY
FAL_CLIENT= PRIMARY

3. As we tested (in Oracle 10.2.0.1), without considering switchover or failover, only set FAL_SERVER=PRIMARY in standby site is enough to fetch archive log from primary site. it means no FAL_SERVER and FAL_CLIENT setting in primary at all, and with no FAL_CLIENT setting in standby site.

So … what do you think?

--
Zhang Leyi (Kamus) <kamusis@gmail.com>

Visit my blog for more: http://www.dbform.com
Join ACOUG: http://www.acoug.org

  • Remigiusz Sokolowski at Jan 17, 2012 at 10:02 am
    I would say
    FAL_SERVER=primary_role_database
    FAL_CLIENT=standby_role_database
    no matter the function the database fulfills
    and possibly fal_server is actually "ignored" on primary, and fal_client
    is "ignored" on standby

    So one needs to change values of those parameters after a switchover

[...]

    Pole nakazi

    Remigiusz Sokolowski <remigiusz.sokolowski@nordea.com>
    pos : DBA at DIiUSI
    addr : Nordea Bank Polska SA, Luzycka 6A Street, 81-537 Gdynia, Poland
    phone : +48 58 667 17 43
    mobile: +48 602 42 42 77
    Nordea Bank Polska S.A. z siedzibą w Gdyni, ul. Kielecka 2, 81-303 Gdynia,
    wpisaną do Rejestru Przedsiębiorców Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego pod numerem: 0000021828,
    dla której dokumentację przechowuje Sąd Rejonowy Gdańsk - Północ w Gdańsku,
    VIII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego,
    o kapitale zakładowym i wpłaconym w wysokości: 277.493.500,00 złotych,
    NIP: 586-000-78-20, REGON: 190024711--
  • Remigiusz Sokolowski at Jan 17, 2012 at 10:14 am
    ups, I was wrong - it seems those parameters are simply not used on
    primary database, and it is standby, which sends the FAL_CLIENT value to
    the primary

    Regards
    Remigiusz

[...]

  • Goulet, Richard at Jan 17, 2012 at 6:22 pm
    You need to set these in view of the database that your setting them on. Take 2 databases apple1 and apple2:
    on apple1 fal_client would = apple1 and fal_server =apple2
    on apple2 they would be reversed.

    AND BTW: it's best as I've found to use the db_unique_name which does not have to equal the db_name or the SID, but MUST be unique among the linked databases..

    Richard Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA/Na Team Leader

[...]

    Visit my blog for more: http://www.dbform.com Join ACOUG: http://www.acoug.org Sent with Sparrow (http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig)

  • Leyi Kamus Zhang at Jan 18, 2012 at 5:24 am
    OK, till now, everyone tell me the correct one is the well known one
    (aka the 1st one I list).

    But, how about the 3rd one I mentioned, even only set FAL_SERVER in
    standby site is enough, if consider about role switch, I would add
    FAL_SERVER=STANDBY in primary site.

    How about the FAL_CLIENT? any usage?

    --
    Kamus <kamusis@gmail.com>

    Visit my blog for more : http://www.dbform.com
    Join ACOUG: http://www.acoug.org

    On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:21 AM, Goulet, Richard
[...]

  • Maureen English at Jan 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm
    FAL_CLIENT is no longer needed in 11g.

    Leyi Kamus Zhang wrote:
    OK, till now, everyone tell me the correct one is the well known one
    (aka the 1st one I list).

    But, how about the 3rd one I mentioned, even only set FAL_SERVER in
    standby site is enough, if consider about role switch, I would add
    FAL_SERVER=STANDBY in primary site.

    How about the FAL_CLIENT? any usage?

    --
    Kamus <kamusis@gmail.com>