Has anybody run into this? Is there a patch or workaround? The patch set notes for 11.2.0.3 say this is supposed to be fixed.

Thanks very much for any help,

Jerry--

  • Gerald Cunningham at Jan 9, 2012 at 11:50 pm
    slight correction 2097152 *Mbs*
    From: oracle-l-bounce@freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce@freelists.org] On Behalf Of Gerald Cunningham [gcunningham@proteuseng.com]
    Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 6:35 PM
    To: oracle-l@freelists.org
    Subject: > 2 Tb disk under ASM - RHEL 5.3/11.2.0.3

    All,

    I'm getting the following error when trying to add a 3 Tb ASM disk under 11.2.0.3 ASM on REL 5.3:

    ORA-15099 disk <disk-name> is larger than the maximum size of 2097152 bytes

    Looks like it may be bug 10072750 or 6453944.8...

    Has anybody run into this? Is there a patch or workaround? The patch set notes for 11.2.0.3 say this is supposed to be fixed.

    Thanks very much for any help,

    Jerry--
  • Tim Gorman at Jan 10, 2012 at 12:24 am
    Yes, we ran into it under 10.2.0.x. Actually what happened is that 10gR2 ASM permitted us to create the huge ASM disk (no error message), but then gave errors after ASM tried to use the space above 2 Tb, several months later, resulting in corruption which led to a 14 Tb tablespace recovery.
    Since the patch in 10gR2 was only supposed to throw the error when you tried to add a disk larger than 2 Tb, I think you are seeing the correct post-patch behavior. The patch throws the error -- it still does not permit you to add a disk larger than 2Tb. I could be wrong, but be sure to look at the notes in Support with that possible understanding...

    slight correction 2097152 *Mbs*________________________________________From: oracle-l-bounce@freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce@freelists.org] On Behalf Of Gerald Cunningham [gcunningham@proteuseng.com]Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 6:35 PMTo: oracle-l@freelists.orgSubject: > 2 Tb disk under ASM - RHEL 5.3/11.2.0.3All,I'm getting the following error when trying to add a 3 Tb ASM disk under 11.2.0.3 ASM on REL 5.3:ORA-15099 disk is larger than the maximum size of 2097152 bytesLooks like it may be bug 10072750 or 6453944.8...Has anybody run into this? Is there a patch or workaround? The patch set notes for 11.2.0.3 say this is supposed to be fixed.Thanks very much for any help,Jerry--http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l--Follow this link to mark it as spam:http://mailfilter.proteus-technologies.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id,40228475.A03B2--http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

  • Gerald Cunningham at Jan 10, 2012 at 3:55 am
    Thanks Tim!

    I think you are right...

    Jerry