Does anyone have any experience with Oracle Fail Safe? We are looking
into this as an option for High Availability of our Oracle databases
running on Windows. It is supposed to work with MS clustering for
server failover. From what I have found, it is available for standard
or enterprise editions of Oracle, and there is no additional cost. Any
opinions, good or bad, would be helpful.

Thanks,

John Reimer

DBA

Cooper Tire and Rubber Company

Search Discussions

  • Taylor, Chris David at Nov 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm
    Yes.

    It's an active-passive configuration, so there is still some minimal downtime when a node goes down as the cluster moves to the other node. (You probably already knew that, but sometimes it bears repeating).

    I like it for what it does. It adds a level of complexity to your DBA activities though. For example, configuring the Oracle Agent for Grid Control on a Windows Cluster requires you to create a "VirtualAgent" directory on the shared storage. Not terribly complicated but requires the cluster to be moved to the 2nd node as part of the configuration. (Note Id: 464191.1)

    Make sure you use the latest version of Oracle FailSafe downloadable from OTN and apply any patches from Oracle support. Prior to the latest version you couldn't have both 10g and 11g instances running in the cluster (as I found out after I tried to add a new 11g installation).

    There's an additional component called Oracle FailSafe manager (I believe it is) that can be installed but is not required. It however is (was?) only supported on Windows 32-bit systems and would crosscheck your cluster configuration and do some administrative tasks by running the commands for you.

    Once I went through the process and figured out what that particular tool did, I realized it was really needed so I add my resources to the cluster manually now which I think is more straight forward.

    We have 7 oracle databases running on our cluster and when we initiate a failover, it takes approximately 3 minutes to move all the resources over and have them online. An actual surprise failover is a bit quicker since in that case the cluster doesn't have to shut down the databases on the primary node as they are already down.

    If you have an Oracle Users Group near you, it would probably be of benefit to tap into them and see if they have any Oracle guys who have FailSafe setup and be willing to do a bit of consulting (looking over your shoulder as you do the setup/installs) on the initial setup/configuration.

    Chris Taylor
    Sr. Oracle DBA
    Ingram Barge Company
    Nashville, TN 37205

    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
    -- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.

    Does anyone have any experience with Oracle Fail Safe? We are looking into this as an option for High Availability of our Oracle databases running on Windows. It is supposed to work with MS clustering for server failover. From what I have found, it is available for standard or enterprise editions of Oracle, and there is no additional cost. Any opinions, good or bad, would be helpful.

    Thanks,

    John Reimer

    DBA

    Cooper Tire and Rubber Company

  • D'Hooge Freek at Nov 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm
    John,

    I have some experience with it. We use it to protect some sap databases.
    It works reasable well, had some strange installation problems with older versions, but these seem to be gone now.
    One thing to remember is to have the parameter file (init or spfile) on a location that fails over to the other node, otherwise you probable end up with differences between parameter files and failing failovers.

    About the licensing cost: you don't need to license the failover server only if there is only 1 failover server for your primary server and you only run the database for a maximum of 10 days per calendar year. And ff you run the database today for 2 hours on the failover server, it is counted as a full day.
    Otherwise you need to licence all servers.

    Regards,

    Freek D'Hooge
    Uptime
    Oracle Database Administrator
    email: freek.dhooge@uptime.be
    tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
    http://www.uptime.be
    Does anyone have any experience with Oracle Fail Safe? We are looking
    into this as an option for High Availability of our Oracle databases
    running on Windows. It is supposed to work with MS clustering for
    server failover. From what I have found, it is available for standard
    or enterprise editions of Oracle, and there is no additional cost. Any
    opinions, good or bad, would be helpful.

    Thanks,

    John Reimer

    DBA

    Cooper Tire and Rubber Company

  • Niall Litchfield at Nov 11, 2011 at 5:44 pm
    It's an excellent product (which probably explains why you hardly ever see
    it outside of SAP environments!) It provides an Active/Passive failover for
    Windows based databases. The comments elsewhere about licensing etc are
    right on the money in my view - You *might* run into incompatibility issues
    if you are trying to run 11.2 on windows server 2003 version.
    Does anyone have any experience with Oracle Fail Safe? We are looking
    into this as an option for High Availability of our Oracle databases
    running on Windows. It is supposed to work with MS clustering for
    server failover. From what I have found, it is available for standard
    or enterprise editions of Oracle, and there is no additional cost. Any
    opinions, good or bad, would be helpful.

    Thanks,

    John Reimer

    DBA

    Cooper Tire and Rubber Company

    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA
    http://www.orawin.info

  • Li Li at Nov 12, 2011 at 12:31 am
    I second that. We have been running OFS for our EMR database with no
    issues. We did move away from OFS to VMware visualization, as VMware
    provides the same kind of HA, while also provides other features such
    as Snapshot, vMotion and SRM to DR site, etc.

    On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Niall Litchfield