All,
Here are some particulars:
Oracle 11.2.0.1
Windows 2008 Server
We normally don't run Oracle on Windows, but one vendor insists that the Oracle database must be on windows. In our Unix / Linux environment, we monitor many things, including free physical disk space. Without having direct access to the Windows server, is there anything within Oracle that can return the disk size and space used?

Thank you,

Scott Canaan '88 (srcdco@rit.edu )
(585) 475-7886 - work
"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer.

Search Discussions

  • D'Hooge Freek at Nov 10, 2011 at 7:55 pm
    If the application software is not placed on the same server as the database, the vendor has 0 to say about the database platform.

    Now, back to your question :-)

    What do you mean about "without having direct access to the windows server".
    Do you mean you can't use os scripts, or that it must be scheduled from within oracle?

    Regards,

    Freek D'Hooge
    Uptime
    Oracle Database Administrator
    email: freek.dhooge@uptime.be
    tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
    http://www.uptime.be
    We normally don't run Oracle on Windows, but one vendor insists that the Oracle database must be on windows. In our Unix / Linux environment, we monitor many things, including free physical disk space. Without having direct access to the Windows server, is there anything within Oracle that can return the disk size and space used?

    Thank you,

    Scott Canaan '88 (srcdco@rit.edu )
    (585) 475-7886 - work
    "Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer.

  • Scott Canaan at Nov 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm
    Currently, we are not being given access to the Windows server, so we have to be able to access the data from within Oracle.

    Normally, I agree with you and I've told many vendors that it isn't important where the database is as long as they can connect to it. This vendor flat out says that if we don't put it on windows, they won't support us. They did say that we could move it to Linux after the install as long as we move it back to Windows for any support or upgrade.

    Scott Canaan '88 (srcdco@rit.edu)
    (585) 475-7886 - work           (585) 339-8659 - cell
    "Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer.

    We normally don't run Oracle on Windows, but one vendor insists that the Oracle database must be on windows. In our Unix / Linux environment, we monitor many things, including free physical disk space. Without having direct access to the Windows server, is there anything within Oracle that can return the disk size and space used?

    Thank you,

    Scott Canaan '88 (srcdco@rit.edu )
    (585) 475-7886 - work
    "Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer.

  • D'Hooge Freek at Nov 10, 2011 at 8:00 pm
    Hmmm

    Unless you are willing to use utl_file to create scripts on the filesystem and then run them using dbms_scheduler, I don't know a solution.

    But, even if you did the above and got the results what would you do with it?
    You can't access the server, so you can't fix the problem.

    Freek D'Hooge
    Uptime
    Oracle Database Administrator
    email: freek.dhooge@uptime.be
    tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
    http://www.uptime.be

    We normally don't run Oracle on Windows, but one vendor insists that the Oracle database must be on windows. In our Unix / Linux environment, we monitor many things, including free physical disk space. Without having direct access to the Windows server, is there anything within Oracle that can return the disk size and space used?

    Thank you,

    Scott Canaan '88 (srcdco@rit.edu )
    (585) 475-7886 - work
    "Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer.

  • Scott Canaan at Nov 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm
    We don't fix the problem on the SQL Server Windows servers either, but we do notify the SAs and they fix the problem.

    Scott Canaan '88 (srcdco@rit.edu)
    (585) 475-7886 - work           (585) 339-8659 - cell
    "Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer.

    Currently, we are not being given access to the Windows server, so we have to be able to access the data from within Oracle.

    Normally, I agree with you and I've told many vendors that it isn't important where the database is as long as they can connect to it. This vendor flat out says that if we don't put it on windows, they won't support us. They did say that we could move it to Linux after the install as long as we move it back to Windows for any support or upgrade.

    Scott Canaan '88 (srcdco@rit.edu)
    (585) 475-7886 - work           (585) 339-8659 - cell "Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." - Tom Lehrer.