I'm trying to find out if replication existed in Oracle in any form in versions previous to Oracle 7? Were snapshots introduced in 7, or were they available in earlier versions?
I have worked with 6, but I honestly don't recall if there were snapshots there or not?
Thanks!

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE
Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature line.

Note: THIS EMAIL IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ORACLE SUPPORT COMMUNICATION. It is just the opinion of one Oracle employee. I can be wrong, have been wrong in the past and will be wrong in the future. If your problem is a critical production problem, you should always contact Oracle support for assistance. Statements in this email in no way represent Oracle Corporation or any subsidiaries and reflect only the opinion of the author of this email.

Search Discussions

  • Harel Safra at Oct 23, 2011 at 9:31 pm
    According to orafaq.com - http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_7 snapshots were
    introduced on 7.0
    Harel Safra

    On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Robert Freeman
[...]

  • Robert Freeman at Oct 23, 2011 at 11:32 pm
    Yes, but did anything precede that?

    ________________________________
[...]

  • CRISLER, JON A at Oct 24, 2011 at 1:35 am
    I have a SR opened with Oracle, but I am struggling to determine what this metric in AWR means-

    Av Buf Wt(ms) - I cannot tell if this means Average Buffer Wait(ms), or Average Buffer Write(ms). In the
    Context of the earlier "Av Rd(ms)" it makes me think that its Average Buffer Write, but how can I get such a
    Wide range between reads and writes? This is on a very high end NetApp san storage. The AWR report for disk i/o does not match the SAN statistics at all- we get sub-5 ms i/o's reported on the SAN side, but on the OS side I do see some above average times under i/o stat, but still sub-15ms times when it gets ugly.

    Tablespace IO Stats DB/Inst: xxxx/xxxxxx Snaps: 26941-26987
    -> ordered by IOs (Reads + Writes) desc

    Tablespace
    ------------------------------
    Av Av Av Av Buffer Av Buf
    Reads Reads/s Rd(ms) Blks/Rd Writes Writes/s Waits Wt(ms)
    -------------- ------- ------ ------- ------------ -------- ---------- ------
    XXXDAT01
    143,639 3 2.9 1.7 985,708 24 26,753 43.5
    XXXDX01
    13,492 0 4.2 1.0 946,883 23 708 145.5
    UNDOTBS6
    61,740 1 3.8 1.0 51,146 1 1,079 3.0
    XXXLOB01
    47,916 1 6.1 1.0 37,402 1 13,511 4.8
    SYSAUX
    5,221 0 2.6 1.0 20,370 0 0 0.0

    Some parameters that might influence this-

    db_block_checking MEDIUM
    db_block_checksum TYPICAL
    db_block_size 8192

    db_lost_write_protect TYPICAL

    This is 11gR1 RAC to a Dataguard 11gR1 RAC setup, x64 RedHat Linux 5
  • John Clarke at Oct 24, 2011 at 1:43 am
    Pretty sure it means Average Buffer Wait, as in "buffer busy waits". And this doesn't necessarily directly mean slow IO, it could be buffer contention due to lots of concurrent DML on the same blocks. The p3 value in v$session_wait would shed some light on this if you happen to catch it "in action".
    Take a look at the segment stats further down in the report for buffer busy waits and see if you can map specific segments to the XXDX01 tablespace ... that's where I'd start. Then you might also be able to map this back to specific SQL statements in the SQL section(s), in an indirect sort of way.

    - John

[...]

  • Jonathan at Oct 24, 2011 at 7:55 am
    It's the average buffer busy wait time - except it includes the "read by other session" waits as "buffer busy wait".

    Check your file I/O histogram for anomalies

    Regards
    Jonathan Lewis

    JC1706@att.com wrote:
    I have a SR opened with Oracle, but I am struggling to determine what thi=
    s metric in AWR means-

    Av Buf Wt(ms) - I cannot tell if this means Average Buffer Wait(ms), or =
    Average Buffer Write(ms). In the
    Context of the earlier "Av Rd(ms)" it makes me think that its Average Bu=
    ffer Write, but how can I get such a
    Wide range between reads and writes? This is on a very high end NetApp s=
    an storage. The AWR report for disk i/o does not match the SAN statistic=
    s at all- we get sub-5 ms i/o's reported on the SAN side, but on the OS s=
    ide I do see some above average times under i/o stat, but still sub-15ms =
    times when it gets ugly.

    Tablespace IO Stats DB/Inst: xxxx/xxxxxx Snaps: 26941-2698=
    7
    -> ordered by IOs (Reads + Writes) desc

  • David Fitzjarrell at Oct 24, 2011 at 3:06 pm
    Not that I remember and I started withh 6.0.24.  Hot backups were new with 6 but as far as I recollect no method of replication existed.

    David Fitzjarrell

[...]

  • Dennis Williams at Oct 25, 2011 at 3:11 pm
    Robert,
    I agree that the first working Oracle replication was in Oracle 7. But this
    reminds me of something. I dimly recall a product named "Oracle Star". My
    recollection is that it was the first announced distributed database
    product. I'm not sure if it was more than vaporware, but I think it was
    mentioned in one of the Oracle manuals.

    Dennis Williams
  • Dennis Williams at Oct 25, 2011 at 4:03 pm
    Okay, a little more digging with Google yielded the following:

    The first well-publicized distributed DBMS product was INGRES/Star,
    announced in 1987. Oracle also announced distributed DBMS capabilities in
    1987, but largely as a marketing ploy. The first Oracle product to
    reasonably support distributed database processing is Oracle 7, which has
    been in the market since 1993.
    http://www.dciexpo.com/geos/replica.htm

    The book "The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison" by Mike Wilson
    describes this very well. The product name was "SQL*Star". According to
    Mike, the announcement by Larry Ellison of SQL*Star preempted the
    INGRES/Star announcement. The Oracle developers hadn't even heard of this
    project until Larry's announcement. When Ingres made their announcement,
    the reporters asked: "so this is like Oracle's product?".

    Dennis Williams

    I agree that the first working Oracle replication was in Oracle 7. But
    this reminds me of something. I dimly recall a product named "Oracle Star".
    My recollection is that it was the first announced distributed database
    product. I'm not sure if it was more than vaporware, but I think it was
    mentioned in one of the Oracle manuals.

    Dennis Williams

  • Don Granaman at Oct 26, 2011 at 4:54 am
    There was no form of built-in replication prior to Oracle 7.

    I started with Oracle 5 (not including a bit of learning SQL using Oracle 4's UFI!). We had a significant distributed environment with Oracle 6 and had to build it custom, from scratch, using Pro-C. Even triggers and PL/SQL in the database were not available when we did this.

    Don Granaman | Phone: 402-361-3073 | Cell: 402-960-6955 | Fax: 402-361-3173 | Solutionary | Relevant . Intelligent . Security

[...]

  • Jonathan at Oct 24, 2011 at 7:48 am
    Replication (or similar) was introduced in 7.0 - any other variant would have been a home-grown job in v6.

    Regards
    Jonathan Lewis

    robertgfreeman@yahoo.com wrote:
    I'm trying to find out if replication existed in Oracle in any form in ve=
    rsions previous to Oracle 7? Were snapshots introduced in 7, or were they=
    available in earlier versions?
    I have worked with 6, but I honestly don't recall if there were snapshots=
    there or not?
    Thanks!

    RF

    Robert G. Freeman

  • Tim Gorman at Oct 24, 2011 at 11:31 am
    The "symmetric replication" product was introduced in 7.1.6.