Okay, looking at a best practices kind of question.

I am setting up a machine to hold the catalog/repository for RMAN
backups of my dbs. And, I even will schedule the backups of the backup
machine to be done by RMAN.

However, what is the best practice for storing this machines backup
metadata? It would seem that you have to store it in the controlfile
and use other methodologies to safeguard the information. To me, you
can't use the catalog because if it dies, how do you do a restore of
your backup machine if your metadata and such about the backup....is in
the dead machine?

A suggestion in my class to day was that you could still use RMAN to
restore the backup machine using the DUPLICATE command, as long as you
had access to the the proper backup set pieces.

Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Robert Freeman at Oct 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm
    Actually, when you use a recovery catalog (which I recommend) the backup metadata is still guaranteed to be contained in the control file until control_file_record_keep_time expires. This is why controlfile auto backups are an important part of your strategy.

    Also in 11g and later (maybe 10gr2 can't recall for sure), worst case, you can catalog backup set pieces from disk. Thus if you loose everything, you can still restore.

    All covered in my oracle press rman book.

    Rf

    Okay, looking at a best practices kind of question.

    I am setting up a machine to hold the catalog/repository for RMAN
    backups of my dbs. And, I even will schedule the backups of the backup
    machine to be done by RMAN.

    However, what is the best practice for storing this machines backup
    metadata? It would seem that you have to store it in the controlfile
    and use other methodologies to safeguard the information. To me, you
    can't use the catalog because if it dies, how do you do a restore of
    your backup machine if your metadata and such about the backup....is in
    the dead machine?

    A suggestion in my class to day was that you could still use RMAN to
    restore the backup machine using the DUPLICATE command, as long as you
    had access to the the proper backup set pieces.

    Thanks.

  • D'Hooge Freek at Oct 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm
    Robert,

    When taking backups of your rman repository, you can safeguard the backup metadata (located in the controlfiles) by using the controlfile autobackup feature.
    When enabled (configure command in rman) it will make automatically create backup of the controlfile after backing up the database and use a "predictable" generated name for it.

    When restoring, you only need the dbid of the rman catalog to allow rman to restore it from backup.
    Once the controlfile is restored, you have access again to the metadata of the backups of your recovery catalog and you can restore the rest of the database as usual.

    Regards,

    Freek D'Hooge
    Uptime
    Oracle Database Administrator
    email: freek.dhooge@uptime.be
    tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
    http://www.uptime.be
    Okay, looking at a best practices kind of question.

    I am setting up a machine to hold the catalog/repository for RMAN
    backups of my dbs. And, I even will schedule the backups of the backup
    machine to be done by RMAN.

    However, what is the best practice for storing this machines backup
    metadata? It would seem that you have to store it in the controlfile
    and use other methodologies to safeguard the information. To me, you
    can't use the catalog because if it dies, how do you do a restore of
    your backup machine if your metadata and such about the backup....is in
    the dead machine?

    A suggestion in my class to day was that you could still use RMAN to
    restore the backup machine using the DUPLICATE command, as long as you
    had access to the the proper backup set pieces.

    Thanks.

  • Goulet, Richard at Oct 20, 2011 at 6:08 pm
    Best practice I believe is to use both the recovery catalog, which you've hopefully replicated to another server in preferably another data center, and having it in the control file. We do routine restores of production databases to different machines every 6 months and intentionally don't use the recovery catalog. Here are the steps we follow:

    rman TARGET / NOCATALOG
    set dbid 3836706798;
    run
    { set CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK
    TO 'oracle8:[backup.tcprd1]tcprd1_%F.';
    restore controlfile from autobackup;
    }
    alter database mount;

    Obviously the dbid and file locations will be as per your environment, but this does work.

    Richard Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA/Na Team Leader

    Okay, looking at a best practices kind of question.

    I am setting up a machine to hold the catalog/repository for RMAN backups of my dbs. And, I even will schedule the backups of the backup machine to be done by RMAN.

    However, what is the best practice for storing this machines backup metadata? It would seem that you have to store it in the controlfile and use other methodologies to safeguard the information. To me, you can't use the catalog because if it dies, how do you do a restore of your backup machine if your metadata and such about the backup....is in the dead machine?

    A suggestion in my class to day was that you could still use RMAN to restore the backup machine using the DUPLICATE command, as long as you had access to the the proper backup set pieces.

    Thanks.

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedOct 20, '11 at 5:26p