We are having c- files under the ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory on regular basis and these are pretty big to fill up the filesystem.
-rw-rw---- 1 oracle oinstall 15564800 May 22 18:08 c-3963933903-20110522-03
-rw-rw---- 1 oracle oinstall 15564800 May 22 23:09 c-3963933903-20110522-04
Q1. Are these created by RMAN?
Q2. How to stop these files being written to ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory?
Q3. What will be the impact if we delete these files from ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory?
Q4. Why these c-* files are not generated under ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory for other ORACLE_HOME?

Appreciate your help in advance,
Ashoke

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE]

Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records.

To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com

Search Discussions

  • LS Cheng at Oct 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm
    Q1. those are controlfile autobackups I believe
    Q2. if you want to change the localtion logon to rman and run configure
    controlfile autobackup .....................
    Q3. doesnt matter if you delete them but you probably want to delete from
    rman so you dont have to crosscheck them in the future
    Q4. probably because only one databasehs autobackup set to ON
    Regards

    --
    LSC
[...]

  • Lange, Kevin G at Oct 18, 2011 at 10:51 pm
    Core dump files ?

    If so, is your core_dump_dest set ?

[...]

  • Chitale, Hemant Krishnarao at Oct 19, 2011 at 2:52 am
    I suppose that you have multiple files from 22-May to 19-Oct (you've listed two files of 22-May).
    These are likely controlfile autobackups being created frequently if you have either of these running very frequently :
    a. RMAN Backups running frequently
    b. CREATE / ALTER TABLESPACE commands that add datafiles
    c. DROP TABLESPACE commands that drop datafiles

    Hemant K Chitale
[...]

    This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the addressee, do not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this email or any attachments. If received in error, notify the sender immediately and delete this email and any attachments from your system. Emails cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free as the message and any attachments could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, delayed, incomplete or amended. Standard Chartered PLC and its subsidiaries do not accept liability for damage caused by this email or any attachments and may monitor email traffic.

    Standard Chartered PLC is incorporated in England with limited liability under company number 966425 and has its registered office at 1 Aldermanbury Square, London, EC2V 7SB.

    Standard Chartered Bank ("SCB") is incorporated in England with limited liability by Royal Charter 1853, under reference ZC18. The Principal Office of SCB is situated in England at 1 Aldermanbury Square, London EC2V 7SB. In the United Kingdom, SCB is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority under FSA register number 114276.

    If you are receiving this email from SCB outside the UK, please click http://www.standardchartered.com/global/email_disclaimer.html to refer to the information on other jurisdictions.
  • Subodh Deshpande at Oct 19, 2011 at 5:03 am
    check your rman script..
    have you configured default backup destination to disk and does that point
    <ORACLE_HOME>/dbs location then rman might be using this directory..
    connect to rman find out from the backup list whether this entry exists
    anywhere..

    run the maintenance backup to delete expired backups..

    if this is not the case then check your dump file locations..

    also check whether there are any orphan processes owned by oracle:oinstall..
[...]

    TRUTH WINS AT LAST, DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY

  • D Kennell at Oct 19, 2011 at 5:42 pm
    I think these are controlled within RMAN - at least that's where I have
    typically configured the settings for them. If you issue the command:
    RMAN> show all;

    you'll see the below settings.

    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO
    '/backups/oradata/SID/ctrlfileWWT2_%F';

    The default for AUTOBACKUP is typically "OFF" when a database is first
    registered with RMAN. If it's "ON", then you can specify where the control
    files go, as well as their format, in the second "AUTOBACKUP FORMAT" line -
    possibly $ORACLE_HOME/dbs is the default location if no other location is
    configured? For us, the previous c-files get deleted every night, so if you
    modified the location, they might get deleted automatically from
    $ORACLE_HOME/dbs after the next RMAN backups are run...

    We are having c- files under the ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory on regular basis
    and these are pretty big to fill up the filesystem.
    -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oinstall 15564800 May 22 18:08
    c-3963933903-20110522-03
    -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oinstall 15564800 May 22 23:09
    c-3963933903-20110522-04
    Q1. Are these created by RMAN?
    Q2. How to stop these files being written to ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory?
    Q3. What will be the impact if we delete these files from ORACLE_HOME/dbs
    directory?
    Q4. Why these c-* files are not generated under ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory
    for other ORACLE_HOME?

    Appreciate your help in advance,
    Ashoke

  • Wayne Smith at Oct 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm
    If you do the following from an "oracle" user session, you'll see what is
    set to cause these to be placed there:

    - . oraenv
    - (enter name of your database)
    - rman
    - connect target
    - show all;
    - quit

    The "show all" will display your rman configuration. rman is really
    excellent in that these settings are displayed in a form that is the correct
    syntax to change the setting!

    As others have said, these are control file auto backups. You may also have
    another form of control file backup in file names that might start with
    "snapcf". If the path to "dbs" is specified, simply issue the rman command
    "configure" command as you see from the "show all", but with the path you
    wish to use. If something like "%F" is all that is used, look up the syntax
    in the rman documentation.

    By the way, these are backup files. If you don't want any of them, and
    don't need them by policy, just erase the ones you don't want. Also, I
    don't know if these (control file auto backup) files are automatically
    erased by your rman retention policies ... if not, you may have old files
    you can erase to regain free space.

    Hope this helps!

    Cheers, Wayne
    Wayne T Smith - wts@maine.edu - UMS-ITS-S&O -

    - LISTSERV®, the software that pioneered opt-in email list communication,
    is now 25 years old.
[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedOct 18, '11 at 10:28p