Hey List-ers,

Without buying the Provisioning Pack, is it possible to create a
kickstart image of a box that has the grid infrastructure installed
and ready to configure?

The results from the manuals, (yeah, I looked there first) suggest you
can "partially" do this. You can do a binary only install, but you
can't really get the grid up and running without doing a grid home
clone.

I'm getting ready to upgrade/move a lot of rac db's to new clusters,
and I'm looking for ways to streamline the process. I would like to be
able to create a "golden image" kickstart box, so most of the
pre-requisites are already done when the sysadmins hand the boxes
over.

If anyone has experience doing this, I'd like to hear from you .

Thanks.
ZB

Search Discussions

  • Niall Litchfield at Sep 27, 2011 at 12:18 pm
    You can put almost anything you want that can be scripted in a kickstart
    file. IIRC GI has a silent install option and cloning of GI is also
    scriptable
    Without buying the Provisioning Pack, is it possible to create a
    kickstart image of a box that has the grid infrastructure installed
    and ready to configure?

    The results from the manuals, (yeah, I looked there first) suggest you
    can "partially" do this. You can do a binary only install, but you
    can't really get the grid up and running without doing a grid home
    clone.

    I'm getting ready to upgrade/move a lot of rac db's to new clusters,
    and I'm looking for ways to streamline the process. I would like to be
    able to create a "golden image" kickstart box, so most of the
    pre-requisites are already done when the sysadmins hand the boxes
    over.

    If anyone has experience doing this, I'd like to hear from you .

    Thanks.
    ZB
  • Frits Hoogland at Sep 27, 2011 at 12:27 pm
    I have done a proof of concept on amazon with a system which had cfengine on it for automation, for doing the install (scp, untar, run the installer to get the home in the inventory). This was the database software install.

    To get it in kickstart, the most obvious option is to use it in an RPM.
    RPM's are limited in size (nowadays, AFAIK it didn't had that in earlier versions), at the size of 2GB, which is too small for Oracle database & grid infrastructure.

    Frits Hoogland

    http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com
    mailto: frits.hoogland@gmail.com
    cell: +31-6-53569942

[...]