backups of EM are failing suddenly. It shows "Initialization failure" in
status and error log shows "Step aborted because agent went down". The error
comes after many hours, I see that it doesn't write nothing in the oputut
dir of the backup.
If I do "$ tail -f emagent.trc", it shows some warns and the errors:

2011-08-29 09:43:25 Thread-4136277696 ERROR TargetManager: TIMEOUT when
compute dynamic properties for target ora10g.localhost.localdomain
2011-08-29 09:43:25 Thread-4136277696 ERROR TargetManager: target
{ora10g.localhost.localdomain, oracle_database} is broken: cannot compute
dynamic properties in time.
2011-08-29 09:43:25 Thread-4136277696 WARN collector: the column name
DiskActivityavwait in this condition does not exist
2011-08-29 09:43:25 Thread-4119632784 ERROR upload: Error in
uploadXMLFiles. Trying again in 60.00 seconds.

It is 10.2.0.1.0 on Linux. Someone can help me?
Thanks beforehand.

Cheers...

Search Discussions

  • Oliver at Aug 29, 2011 at 10:11 am
    Thanks, but I'm sorry, I'm a newbie, the dba is on vacation and I have to
    look it because I'm the person with more knowledges of Oracle.
    I've tried stop and start agent/dbconsole but it is failing again. I
    understand your commands, except remove all uploaded files :-?
    Clear state or remove uploads files remove created jobs?
    Ah, one thing, I think that it started to fail when it surpassed the flash
    recovery quota. I had 300GB, and it had 330GB written, in destination of
    backup dir. I deleted some backups and I will increase to 500GB the flash
    recovery quota (I've not restarted database, is it necessary?)
    Thanks beforehand.

    2011/8/29 Pavel
    Hi
    Could you try these one:

    Issue emctl stop agent, emctl clear state agent, emctl start agent.

    And I think remove all uploads files.

    Regards,
    Pavel.

    2011/8/29 Oliver
    Hi,
[...]

  • Pavel at Aug 29, 2011 at 10:33 am
    Hi
    Did you crosscheck after delete some backups? Clear state don't remove
    created jobs.

    Regards,
    Pavel.

    2011/8/29 Oliver
[...]

  • Oliver at Aug 29, 2011 at 10:35 am
    Yes, I did crosscheck in rman ...
    I'm going to do the steps of:

    http://jhdba.wordpress.com/2008/12/10/clearing-an-enterprise-manager-agent-that-fails-to-upload/

    Is it ok?
[...]

  • Oliver at Aug 29, 2011 at 10:49 am
    When I do "emctl upload agent" step, it shows:

    EMD upload error: uploadXMLFiles skipped :: OMS version not checked yet..

    Jus the error of that page ...

    2011/8/29 Oliver
[...]

  • Oliver at Aug 29, 2011 at 11:26 am
    I've done all steps. Agent is running and ready and dbconsole is running,
    but I continue with the same issue. I've done a manual backup, and I don't
    see writing files in output backup dir.
    Some suggestion?
    Thanks beforehand.

    2011/8/29 Oliver
[...]

  • Niall Litchfield at Aug 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm
    Hi

    what is the full output on the target machine of emctl status agent?

    --
    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA

  • Oliver at Aug 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm
    This is the output:

    Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Database Control Release 10.2.0.1.0
    Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

    Agent Version : 10.1.0.4.1
    OMS Version : 10.1.0.4.0
    Protocol Version : 10.1.0.2.0
    Agent Home : /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/xxx_ora10g
    Agent binaries : /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1
    Agent Process ID : 19051
    Parent Process ID : 18114
    Agent URL : http://xxx:3938/emd/main
    Started at : 2011-08-29 12:09:00
    Started by user : oracle
    Last Reload : 2011-08-29 12:14:14
    Last successful upload : 2011-08-29 12:14:23
    Total Megabytes of XML files uploaded so far : 4.40
    Number of XML files pending upload : 0
    Size of XML files pending upload(MB) : 0.00

    Available disk space on upload filesystem : 87.14%

    Agent is Running and Ready

    I see it all ok, isn't it?
    Jobs are many hours for seeing it has failed ... I will look tomorrow, but I
    see that it doesn't writing in the backup dir ...

    2011/8/29 Niall Litchfield
[...]

  • Oliver at Aug 30, 2011 at 7:32 am
    Same error today, initialization failure in status of the job and in the
    error log, "Step aborted because agent went down".

    2011/8/29 Oliver
[...]

  • Oliver at Aug 30, 2011 at 7:56 am
    I'm looking emagent.trc, just when it crashes ... The log output is:

    2011-08-30 00:11:12 Thread-4039011216 ERROR scheduler: Collection
    oracle_listener:LISTENER_xxx.xxx.xx:Response has not finished in 721 minutes
    (allowed: 720).
    Exiting agent.
    2011-08-30 00:11:12 Thread-4039011216 ERROR : Signalled to Exit with status
    3
    2011-08-30 00:11:12 Thread-4136433344 ERROR main: EMAgent abnormal
    terminating
    2011-08-30 00:11:41 Thread-4136175296 WARN command: Job Subsystem Timeout
    set at 600 seconds
    2011-08-30 00:11:41 Thread-4136175296 WARN upload: Upload manager has no
    Failure script: disabled
    2011-08-30 00:11:41 Thread-4136175296 WARN upload: Recovering left over xml
    files in upload directory
    2011-08-30 00:11:42 Thread-4136175296 WARN upload: Recovered 0 left over
    xml files in upload directory
    2011-08-30 00:11:42 Thread-4136175296 WARN metadata: Metric Disk_Path does
    not have any data columns
    2011-08-30 00:11:42 Thread-4136175296 WARN metadata: Metric
    osm_diskGroupPolicies does not have any data columns
    2011-08-30 00:12:42 Thread-4136175296 ERROR TargetManager: TIMEOUT when
    compute dynamic properties for target xxx.xxx.xxx
    2011-08-30 00:12:42 Thread-4136175296 ERROR TargetManager: target
    {xxx.xxx.xxx, oracle_database} is broken: cannot compute dynamic properties
    in time.
    2011-08-30 00:12:43 Thread-4136175296 WARN collector: the column name
    DiskActivityavwait in this condition does not exist
    2011-08-30 00:12:43 Thread-4119530384 ERROR upload: Error in
    uploadXMLFiles. Trying again in 60.00 seconds.

    I'm "googling" but without success for now ... I don't find the solution.
    Thanks beforehand.

    2011/8/30 Oliver
[...]

  • Pavel at Aug 30, 2011 at 8:19 am
    Hi
    Try this:
    emctl stop agent
    cd $AGENT_HOME/sysman/emd

    rm -rf collection/*
    rm -rf state/*
    rm -rf upload/*

    emctl start agent

    Regards,
    Pavel.

    2011/8/30 Oliver
[...]

  • Oliver at Aug 30, 2011 at 8:59 am
    I did that yesterday ... I will try again.
    Thanks.

    2011/8/30 Pavel
    Hi
    Try this:
    emctl stop agent
    cd $AGENT_HOME/sysman/emd
    rm -rf collection/*
    rm -rf state/*
    rm -rf upload/*
    emctl start agent

    Regards,
    Pavel.

    2011/8/30 Oliver
[...]

  • Oliver at Aug 30, 2011 at 10:49 am
    I'm going to recreate EM.
    When I run the first command for delete it, it asks about repository user
    name and its password, is it sysman and its password?
    Thanks beforehand.

    2011/8/30 Oliver
[...]

  • Pavel at Aug 30, 2011 at 10:55 am
    Hi
    Yes.

    Regards,
    Pavel.

    2011/8/30 Oliver
[...]

  • Niall Litchfield at Aug 30, 2011 at 11:00 am
    Hi

    Oliver, John's note is for Grid Control and not for Database Control, that
    doesn't mean it won't work - but it may not do so. If the problem you are
    trying to address is RMAN backups failing then using the rman command line
    directly maybe of more immediate use. At the very least I would do the
    following in a terminal/command window on the server ( & having set the
    oracle environment correctly for your database. )

    rman target /
    list backup of database;
[...]

  • Oliver at Aug 30, 2011 at 11:11 am
    Thanks.
    That command works well ... I saw well the backups in the EM, and via
    command too. But it fails from some days.
    I'm recreating the EM following this:

    http://blog.vpire.com/?p=955

    Is it ok? I'm doing recreate, it is deleting it now.
    I remember do this in the past, for a similar problem.
    When I restart agent, I always see in emagent.log the next:

    2011-08-30 11:15:50 Thread-4136376000 target {xxx.xxx.xxx, orac
    le_database} is broken: cannot compute dynamic properties in time. (00155)

    Many people fix it modifying emd.properties, changing a parameter, I've
    changed it but it continues failing. Other people fix it recreating EM, I'm
    with it now.
    Other people fix patching Oracle ...
    I don't know why it has failed without do nothing in the OS/Oracle.
    Thanks beforehand.

    Cheers...

    2011/8/30 Niall Litchfield
[...]

  • Oliver at Aug 30, 2011 at 1:26 pm
    I've executed "emca -deconfig dbcontrol db -repos drop", but it is stopped,
    the log shows "Getting temporary tablespace from database...". I'm sure that
    I've put the correct passwords.
    How can I drop it manually? I've seen some steps for dropping sysman user
    and some steps more, is it safe? Some manual for oracle 10g?
[...]

  • Sweetser, Joe at Aug 30, 2011 at 2:43 pm
    Whenever I've rebuilt the repository, I've used:

    emca -config dbcontrol db -repos recreate

    though I have no idea if will make any difference in your situation.

    hth,
    -joe

[...]

    2011-08-30 00:11:42 Thread-4136175296 WARN upload: Recovered 0 left over xml files in upload directory
    2011-08-30 00:11:42 Thread-4136175296 WARN metadata: Metric Disk_Path does not have any data columns
    2011-08-30 00:11:42 Thread-4136175296 WARN metadata: Metric osm_diskGroupPolicies does not have any data columns
    2011-08-30 00:12:42 Thread-4136175296 ERROR TargetManager: TIMEOUT when compute dynamic properties for target xxx.xxx.xxx
    2011-08-30 00:12:42 Thread-4136175296 ERROR TargetManager: target {xxx.xxx.xxx, oracle_database} is broken: cannot compute dynamic properties in time.
    2011-08-30 00:12:43 Thread-4136175296 WARN collector: the column name DiskActivityavwait in this condition does not exist
    2011-08-30 00:12:43 Thread-4119530384 ERROR upload: Error in uploadXMLFiles. Trying again in 60.00 seconds.

[...]

    Confidentiality Note: This message contains information that may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, disclose, distribute or take any action based on this message. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply email and delete this message. Although ICAT Managers, LLC, Underwriters at Lloyd's, Syndicate 4242, scans e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses. Thank you.

  • Robert Hanuschke at Aug 30, 2011 at 2:46 pm
    Hi Oliver,

    Note 375946.1 specifies what to do if the 'emca -deconfig dbcontrol db
    -repos drop' command hangs.
    Maybe that helps (at least it's surely supported)

    Best regards,
    Robert
    http://robertvsoracle.blogspot.com
  • Sweetser, Joe at Aug 30, 2011 at 3:26 pm
    Bingo! Pretty sure that's the reason started using the command below. It's just been so long I guess I forgot why I originally came across it. Either that, or all the electroshock therapy treatments. :)

    -joe

    Note that emca drop will put the database to quiesce mode till 11.2.0.1.

    Sreejith
    ~Sent from my samsung phone

[...]

    †Ûiÿü0ÁúÞzX¬¶Ê+ƒün– {ú+iÉ^
  • Oliver at Aug 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm
    What is quiesce mode?
    Can someone paste me the content of that note? thanks.
    I've executed recreate but it hangs too,so I've executed drop first
    (although it hangs too).
    Thanks beforehand.