List Guru's,

I'm trying to create a 10g database on an upgraded 11g grid using DBCA (to replicate the steps done previously when both DB and Grid were 10g) and on Step 7, after selecting "Automatic Storage Management" and clicking "Next", I get:

DBCA could not startup the ASM instance configured on
this node. To proceed with database creation using ASM
you need the ASM instance to be up and running. Do you
want to recreate the ASM instance on this node?

I click "No" because ASM (11g) is running on that node: there are several existing 10g databases currently using it.

Details:

Trying to create a 10g 2 node RAC database on HP-UX B.11.31 using an ASM instance attached to SAN storage.
Grid and ASM have been recently upgraded to 11g. Plans to do the databases are in the works but I need this one up now.
There are existing 10g databases on the same nodes that have no problem seeing the 11g ASM instance.
The existing 10g databases were created when ASM/grid were at 10g version.
Tried setting ORACLE_HOME to the 10g DB and 11g grid/ASM locations to no avail.

I've searched the Internet and Oracle Support (metalink) but the closest information I can find deals with existing 10g databases that need to connect after ASM is upgraded to 11g. Can't seem to locate information for creating a new 10g database to an 11g grid.

As you might infer by my job title, I'm not a pure DBA; just a programmer with some DBA training. If someone could point me in the right direction or the location of some documentation on the subject, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris Langston |Sr. Object Oriented Programmer| American Airlines® |817-963-9659 | chris.langston_at_aa.com

Search Discussions

  • Rajeev Prabhakar at Aug 24, 2011 at 1:09 am
    Hello Chris,

    I had encountered a similar issue
    more than a year back. In our case,
    it turned out that clusterware didn't
    have correct/upgraded OH details.

    Updating and removing old OH information via srvctl resolved it.

    ocrdump could give you some
    insight.

    Thanks,
    Rajeev

    On Aug 23, 2011, at 4:51 PM, "Langston, Chris"
    I'm trying to create a 10g database on an upgraded 11g grid using
    DBCA (to replicate the steps done previously when both DB and Grid
    were 10g) and on Step 7, after selecting "Automatic Storage
    Management" and clicking "Next", I get:

    DBCA could not startup the ASM instance configured on
    this node. To proceed with database creation using ASM
    you need the ASM instance to be up and running. Do you
    want to recreate the ASM instance on this node?

    I click "No" because ASM (11g) is running on that node: there are
    several existing 10g databases currently using it.

    Details:
    1) Trying to create a 10g 2 node RAC database on HP-UX B.11.31
    using an ASM instance attached to SAN storage.
    2) Grid and ASM have been recently upgraded to 11g. Plans to do
    the databases are in the works but I need this one up now.
    3) There are existing 10g databases on the same nodes that have
    no problem seeing the 11g ASM instance.
    4) The existing 10g databases were created when ASM/grid were at
    10g version.
    5) Tried setting ORACLE_HOME to the 10g DB and 11g grid/ASM
    locations to no avail.

    I've searched the Internet and Oracle Support (metalink) but the
    closest information I can find deals with existing 10g databases
    that need to connect after ASM is upgraded to 11g. Can't seem to
    locate information for creating a new 10g database to an 11g grid.

    As you might infer by my job title, I'm not a pure DBA; just a
    programmer with some DBA training. If someone could point me in the
    right direction or the location of some documentation on the
    subject, I'd greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Chris Langston |Sr. Object Oriented Programmer| American Airlines® |817-963-965
    9 | chris.langston_at_aa.com

  • Guenadi Jilevski at Aug 24, 2011 at 1:46 am
    Hi,

    There are two things to pay attention to if using 10gR2 in GI 11:

    A solution for Bug 8288940, when DBCA fails to create a database if ASM
    is used, is in patch 8288940 included with 10.2.0.5 (MOS Note 948456.1).
    In order to create a 10g database the servers in the cluster need to be
    pinned.

    Ex. After fresh 11.2 install pin for 10Gr2 install and db create

    [grid_at_raclinux1 stage10g]$ olsnodes -t

    raclinux1 Unpinned
    raclinux2 Unpinned

    [grid_at_raclinux1 stage10g]$

    [root_at_raclinux1 bin]# ./crsctl pin css -n raclinux1

    CRS-4664: Node raclinux1 successfully pinned.

    [root_at_raclinux1 bin]#

    [root_at_raclinux2 bin]# ./crsctl pin css -n raclinux2

    CRS-4664: Node raclinux2 successfully pinned.

    [root_at_raclinux2 bin]#

    [grid_at_raclinux1 stage10g]$ olsnodes -t

    raclinux1 Pinned

    raclinux2 Pinned

    [grid_at_raclinux1 stage10g]$

    Regards,

    Guenadi Jilevski
[...]

    1) Trying to create a 10g 2 node RAC database on HP-UX B.11.31 using an
    ASM instance attached to SAN storage.
    2) Grid and ASM have been recently upgraded to 11g. Plans to do the
    databases are in the works but I need this one up now.
    3) There are existing 10g databases on the same nodes that have no

    --
    http://www.freelists.org/**webpage/oracle-l

    --
    http://www.freelists.org/**webpage/oracle-l

  • Langston, Chris at Aug 24, 2011 at 1:13 pm
    Thanks, Guenadi and Rajeev.

    It looks like the nodes are pinned.
    olsnodes -n -t

    Node1 1 Pinned
    Node2 2 Pinned
    Node3 3 Pinned
    Node4 4 Pinned

    The node names have been changed for obvious security reasons. Although there are four nodes in the cluster, the database I need to create will only use two.

    The RAC, ASM and DB servers are maintained by another DBA group, and our group - for which I'm the sole acting DBA - is just using their resources. I know they applied some patches after the upgrade but I don't know which ones so I'll verify with them if the 8288940 patch was applied. I had asked them for assistance first but they ran into the same issue and they're stretched too thin as it is to expend much time helping me resolve it.

    I'll try the recommendations and let you know the results.

    Chris Langston

[...]

    Chris Langston |Sr. Object Oriented Programmer| American Airlines(r) |817-963-9659 | chris.langston_at_aa.com
  • Maureen English at Aug 24, 2011 at 7:03 pm
    For those of you who may be a bit bored today....

    We clone our production database to another database about 3 times a year.
    We have a script that we've used for many years, starting with 8i databases.
    The script has been modified over the years to accommodate changes with the
    upgrades.

    Basically, we just copy the datafiles and log files to the new location,
    rename them because they all contain the database SID in their name, create
    a new parameter file and control files and voila, we have a copy of the
    database. We then go in and modify certain bits of data and passwords so
    that users can access the application.

    I recently found a problem with our method. There are tables in the database
    with information that is SID specific. Information like DATA_PUMP_DIR isn't
    a big issue because we change that. Information in V$DIAG_INFO is correct for
    the cloned database. However, even though some information, like log rolls,
    is written to the text version of the alert log, other information, like alter
    database commands, is not written to the text version of the alert log. The
    xml version of the alert log has everything in it and looks fine when viewed
    with adrci.

    When we execute alter database commands, we get trace files generated with the
    information that would normally go to the trace file, as well as messages
    that it can't write to the text version of the alert log:
    ** DBGRL Error: Text Alert Log
    ** DBGRL Error: SLERC_OERC, 48934
    ** DBGRL Error:
    ** DBGRL Error: ALTER DATABASE CREATE STANDBY CONTROLFILE AS '$HOME/tmp/TEST_Standby.ctl'
    It looks like there is some value in the database that isn't quite right, but I'm
    having a hard time finding it....
    oerr ora 48934
    48934, 00000, "invalid input for the file name identifier"
    // *Cause: An invalid input was given for the file name indentifier. The
    // file name is not allowed to have slashes ('\', '/') and is not
    // allowed to refer to the parent directory using the '..' characters.
    // *Action: Check the file name and provide a valid input.
    I do have a ticket in with Oracle, and this doesn't seem like an emergency, but
    it sure is confusing....

    Maureen
  • Anonymous at Aug 25, 2011 at 8:16 am
    Morning Maureen,
    We clone our production database to another database about 3
    times a year.
    Basically, we just copy the data files and log files to the
    new location,
    rename them because they all contain the database SID in
    their name, create
    a new parameter file and control files and voila, we have a
    copy of the database.
    When you say "we rename them" how exactly do you do this? I'm hoping you
    physically rename the files on the OS, and then:

    startup mount
    alter database rename file 'old log_file name' to 'new log_file name';
    alter database rename file 'old data_file name' to 'new data_file name';
    alter database open;

    (Although to rename a data file, the database can already be open.)

    The above sets up the control file properly. If this is a clone to the
    same server, I remember (back at 8.0/8i) having a clone problem whereby
    if the original database was up, I couldn't get the clone to start as
    some file or other (sorry, I forget which) was "already in use". Closing
    the original and starting the clone, then starting the original worked
    fine. I haven't cloned in this manner since then though - I use RMAN
    these days.

    Cheers,
    Norm.

    Norman Dunbar
    Contract Senior Oracle DBA
    Capgemini Database Team (EA)
    Internal : 7 28 2051
    External : 0113 231 2051

    Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

    We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
    We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

    If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk
  • Maureen English at Aug 26, 2011 at 4:48 pm
    Thank you to Charles Schultz!!!

    A while back there was a thread about issues with the alert log. One detail
    that I remembered from that thread was that there were issues with the alert
    log that sometimes gets created in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. We occasionally have
    alert logs created in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs, but they always seem to be generated
    at database startup or shutdown, though I haven't paid much attention to the
    exact situation. When I do find these alert logs, I check them out and then
    delete them since they're usually old.

    Surprisingly enough, I found an alert log for the cloned database in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs
    and it didn't contain the expected information...it had information for an
    old ORA-00600 incident...from July.... I deleted that alert log, ran utlrp
    in the cloned database and the message got written to the alert log in the
    diagnostic_dest directory, and the trace file that got generated didn't have
    any errors in it!!!

    It's Friday, life is good!

    Maureen

    Maureen English wrote:
[...]

  • Langston, Chris at Aug 24, 2011 at 9:19 pm
    Our databases are at 10.2.0.4 and I've been told not to expect any patching until it's upgraded to 11g - and there isn't a confirmed date for that, yet. Last patch for the grid was, 12419353.
    So it looks like I'm stuck until they apply the patch or the RDBMS is upgraded to 11g.
    Thanks, Guenadi, for pointing out the MOS note that explained what error. It's exactly what I'm experiencing but I can't do anything on my own about it because there's more than just our group with databases on these servers.

    I'm grateful for the assistance!

    Chris Langston

[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle