�Hi,

I'm new to RAC, and have a basic question. I'll appreciate if someone can
help.

We have got a requirement from a customer to have support for Oracle RAC. I
need some help on this.

In our product we basically read the DB URL connection string, parse it to
get the required things done.

For Standard alone database using thin driver type the format of the
connection URL is "jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_::".

For clustered environment like Oracle RAC setup, one of the db URL
connection string for two node environment is as listed below:

jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_(DESCRIPTION=(LOAD_BALANCE=on)

(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=IP1)(PORT=P1))

(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)

(HOST=IP2)(PORT=P2))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=RAC.WORLD)))

If the supported nodes in the environment are more than two say for example
50 nodes then it will be weird to have all the nodes listed in the
connection URL. Is there any other way we can represent the connection URL.

Thanks in advance.

Sid.

Search Discussions

  • D'Hooge Freek at Aug 23, 2011 at 4:51 pm
    Saad,

    If you have a working 50 rac node, then call Oracle.
    They will be thrilled to see this;-)

    If you are using 11.2, you can use the single client access name (scan).
    See MOS note 11gR2 Grid Infrastructure Single Client Access Name (SCAN) Explained [ID 887522.1] for a detailed explanation.
    In short, SCAN enables you to use a single address line on which you can connect multiple ip addresses (scan ip's) in the DNS.
    Typically 3 addresses are used.

    Scan listeners are listening on these addresses and will forward you to the normal db (listeners, which are using the vip address).
    These will then startup the server process for you.

    Regards,

    Freek D'Hooge
    Uptime
    Oracle Database Administrator
    email: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
    tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
    http://www.uptime.be
[...]

  • Saad Khan at Aug 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm
    Thanks guyz. Is there any option in Oracle 10g as well??
[...]

    ---
[...]

  • D'Hooge Freek at Aug 24, 2011 at 3:32 pm
    No, in 10g you need to list the addresses of all the cluster nodes.
    But really, this should not become a problem as you will never have that many cluster nodes.

    Maybe we can do a little poll here on the list:

    What is the maximum number of cluster nodes you have in your RAC?