Is anyone running 11G Grid Control using Windows 2008 (32bit) on a 64
bit machine?

When we bought our new box 7 months ago with the plan to install 10g
grid control, I could find nothing that indicated you could not run the
32bit software on a 64 bit machine.

However, I'm now moving straight to 11g and there is an installation
note that says the 32bit software must only be installed on a 32 bit
machine.

Just curious if anyone runs the 32/64 setup. Opend a SR to confirm what
appears to be a new change in the process.

Thanks

Search Discussions

  • Anonymous at Aug 22, 2011 at 12:45 pm
    So, as a follow up to this, I have talked to MOS on a SR about this.
    There response was that they (Oracle) will not support the installation
    of the 32bit grid control software via a 32bit OS (Windows) onto a 64
    bit machine. They only thing they will support is to install the 32bit
    GC software via a 32bit OS (Windows) onto a 32bit hardware base.

    I then asked them what are new customers for Grid Control suppose to do
    when 32bit hardware is no longer available? We're a Dell shop and there
    is currently no server that I've found available on their systems page
    that is NOT 64 bit. Under normal circumstances, a 32 bit application
    should work just fine on a 64 bit hardware base with a 32bit OS loaded.

    Are we having fun yet?

    Is anyone running 11G Grid Control using Windows 2008 (32bit) on a 64
    bit machine?

    When we bought our new box 7 months ago with the plan to install 10g
    grid control, I could find nothing that indicated you could not run the
    32bit software on a 64 bit machine.

    However, I'm now moving straight to 11g and there is an installation
    note that says the 32bit software must only be installed on a 32 bit
    machine.

    Just curious if anyone runs the 32/64 setup. Opend a SR to confirm what
    appears to be a new change in the process.

    Thanks
  • Niall Litchfield at Aug 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm
    OK so that appears to be an entirely ludicrous position to hold. Do you have
    the reference for the install note? I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't
    support it on a 64bit O/S but the hardware platform is both irrelevant, and
    er likely impossible to meet. I'm pretty damn sure that their development
    hardware and test hardware doesn't meet this 'requirement'.

    On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Storey, Robert (DCSO) <
    So, as a follow up to this, I have talked to MOS on a SR about this. There
    response was that they (Oracle) will not support the installation of the
    32bit grid control software via a 32bit OS (Windows) onto a 64 bit machine.
    They only thing they will support is to install the 32bit GC software via a
    32bit OS (Windows) onto a 32bit hardware base.****

    ** **

[...]

    ****

    ** **

    --
    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA

  • Anonymous at Aug 22, 2011 at 1:14 pm
    Per the Oracle documentation. E16847-09, Grid Control Advanced
    Installation and Configuration Guide, 11g Relase 1 (11.1.0.1.0) dated
    May 2011, page 2-5 it states very clearly that the 32bit EM GC Software
    (both the OMS and the OMA) can be installed only on a 32-bit operation
    system that is running on a 32-bit hardware. Similarly, a 64 software
    base can be installed only on a 64-bit OS that is running on 64-bit
    hardware. Do NOT (their emphasis) try to install a 32-bit software on a
    64-bit platform or vice versa. The installation may proceed, but will
    fail eventually."

    I agree. Ludicrous. Their only suggestion was to go to 64-bit Linux.

    Is anyone running 11G Grid Control using Windows 2008 (32bit) on a 64
    bit machine?

    When we bought our new box 7 months ago with the plan to install 10g
    grid control, I could find nothing that indicated you could not run the
    32bit software on a 64 bit machine.

    However, I'm now moving straight to 11g and there is an installation
    note that says the 32bit software must only be installed on a 32 bit
    machine.

    Just curious if anyone runs the 32/64 setup. Opend a SR to confirm what
    appears to be a new change in the process.

    Thanks
  • Niall Litchfield at Aug 22, 2011 at 1:39 pm
    Well there you go! I'd always read that as referring to software only (and
    thought it overly restrictive but livable with). It clearly isn't worded
    that way though. FWIW 64bit Linux would be my platform of choice for 11g
    Grid, even in a windows environment unless there was really no linux
    expertise available.

    On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Storey, Robert (DCSO) <
[...]

  • Andrew Kerber at Aug 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm
    Hmm. That sounds like an intentional introduction of a bug. Microsoft
    promises that you can run all 32 and 64 bit programs in 64 bit windows.

    On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Niall Litchfield <

    Andrew W. Kerber

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedAug 19, '11 at 2:55p