We have ORACLE 10Gr2 and 11GR1
databases.  We plan to clone database to other server
and also rename it using "nightly backup".  This nightly backup may be several weeks ago. In this case we can NOT use rman "duplicate" command or EXP/IMP.

I know I can use RMAN restore to same database name then
rename it.   Does there has other way can do it?

Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Guillermo Alan Bort at Jul 5, 2011 at 8:37 pm
    Short answer: no

    long answer: no, rman restore restores the database to the same
    DBID/DBNAME/SID (I may be wrong in one of those, it's been a while since I
    tried that). You will need to then change them using nid utility. RMAN
    backup restores were not designed to duplicate databases, that's what the
    DUPLICATE command is for.

    If you are using a new server, then it shouldn't be a problem to restore to
    the original name and then change the name, the only place where I've seen
    this be a problem is when duplicating the DB to the same server, and even
    then you just use "duplicate" which is easier...

    hth
    Alan.-
    databases. We plan to clone database to other server
    and also rename it using "nightly backup". This nightly backup may be
    several weeks ago. In this case we can NOT use rman "duplicate" command or
    EXP/IMP.
    I know I can use RMAN restore to same database name then
    rename it. Does there has other way can do it?

    Thanks.

  • Kenneth Naim at Jul 5, 2011 at 9:44 pm
    Why can't you use duplicate?

    databases.  We plan to clone database to other server and also rename it
    using "nightly backup".  This nightly backup may be several weeks ago. In
    this case we can NOT use rman "duplicate" command or EXP/IMP.

    I know I can use RMAN restore to same database name then
    rename it.   Does there has other way can do it?

    Thanks.

  • Unixkeeper at Jul 6, 2011 at 5:11 am

    This nightly backup may be several weeks ago. In this case we can NOT use
    rman "duplicate" command or EXP/IMP.

    no have latest backupsets so you can't use rman duplicate? i dont know
    why.
    if you can't backup your database, you can using rman active database
    duplication to create a new database

    http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/demos/db/11g/r2/dg/04_dg_rman_create_phys_sby/04_dg_rman_create_phys_sby_viewlet_swf.html
  • Niall Litchfield at Jul 6, 2011 at 11:26 am
    duplicate from active database is not a feature of the versions dba1 mcc
    said that he was using.

    --
    PGP <http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF19DEF41EC301A70>
    --

  • Andrejs Kaulins at Jul 6, 2011 at 10:23 am
    Hi,

    If you have consistent backup (cold backup), you could recreate control file with setting new db name, and defining new locations for data files. Opening database with reset logs will do the rest (dbid will be changed in data file headers).
    Otherwise you need recovery, so db needs to be mounted at least with the same name as original name.

    Andrejs Kaulins,
    Senior DBA at SOLABS

    Sent from my iPad
    databases. We plan to clone database to other server
    and also rename it using "nightly backup". This nightly backup may be several weeks ago. In this case we can NOT use rman "duplicate" command or EXP/IMP.

    I know I can use RMAN restore to same database name then
    rename it. Does there has other way can do it?

    Thanks.

  • Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com at Jul 6, 2011 at 12:45 pm
    AFAIK Recreating control file or opening database with reset logs will not
    change DBID.

    Easiest method will be RMAN duplicate database. What is the reason you can
    not use RMAN duplicate command?

    Thanks
    Mayen

    If you have consistent backup (cold backup), you could recreate control
    file with setting new db name, and defining new locations for data files.
    Opening database with reset logs will do the rest (dbid will be changed in
    data file headers).
    Otherwise you need recovery, so db needs to be mounted at least with the
    same name as original name.

    Andrejs Kaulins,
    Senior DBA at SOLABS

    Sent from my iPad
    databases. We plan to clone database to other server
    and also rename it using "nightly backup". This nightly backup may be
    several weeks ago. In this case we can NOT use rman "duplicate" command
    or EXP/IMP.
    I know I can use RMAN restore to same database name then
    rename it. Does there has other way can do it?

    Thanks.

  • Walker, Jed S at Jul 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm
    RMAN is the best option these days (though it can be frustrating at times), and you can change the database name easily (we don’t have any databases with the exact same name). If you want a different DBID (because you’re doing it by hand) then use the nid utility

    AFAIK Recreating control file or opening database with reset logs will not change DBID.

    Easiest method will be RMAN duplicate database. What is the reason you can not use RMAN duplicate command?

    Thanks
    Mayen

    If you have consistent backup (cold backup), you could recreate control file with setting new db name, and defining new locations for data files. Opening database with reset logs will do the rest (dbid will be changed in data file headers).
    Otherwise you need recovery, so db needs to be mounted at least with the same name as original name.

    Andrejs Kaulins,
    Senior DBA at SOLABS

    Sent from my iPad
    databases. We plan to clone database to other server
    and also rename it using "nightly backup". This nightly backup may be several weeks ago. In this case we can NOT use rman "duplicate" command or EXP/IMP.

    I know I can use RMAN restore to same database name then
    rename it. Does there has other way can do it?

    Thanks.

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJul 5, '11 at 8:01p