Regards

Bala

Search Discussions

  • Robin Moffatt at Jun 20, 2011 at 9:40 am
    Not sure about Ubuntu & VMWare, but I've found Fedora 14 to be an excellent desktop Linux to run, and VirtualBox runs very nicely on it.

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org On Behalf Of Balakrishna Y
    Sent: 20 June 2011 10:13
    To: oracle-l@freelists.org
    Subject: Having Ubuntu instead of Windows XP for Oracle and for Daily use ? which is best

    Hi All,

    I'm having currently windows XP and unfortunately my Hard Disk got crashed with is very much because of virus .

    I'm planning to have Ubuntu for Oracle and for Daily use also (i.e for MP3,movies etc :) ) .

    I'd like to have to Oracle Database & VMware in it for my RAC and ASM etc. in Ubuntu OS . I know Oracle is very much possible with Ubuntu and not about VMware .

    So which is best according to your experiences and problems you faced ? please let me know .

    Thankful to you all as always :)

    Regards

    Bala

    Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

    If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email.
    If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely on the email or its attachments in any way.

    This email does not constitute a contract in writing for the purposes of the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989.

    Our Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase, as may be amended from time to time, apply to any contract that we enter into. The current version of our Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase is available at: http://www.morrisons.co.uk/gscop

    Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility,
    and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.
  • Anonymous at Jun 20, 2011 at 9:52 am
    Morning,
    Not sure about Ubuntu & VMWare, but I've found Fedora 14 to
    be an excellent desktop Linux to run, and VirtualBox runs
    very nicely on it.
    I've had lots of problems, performance wise, getting VMWare to work -
    granted that was on Windows. I'm now using VirtualBox version 4 (from
    Oracle) running in OpenSuse as my main desktop.

    I'm running Fedora 14, Scientific Enterprise Linux 6.0 (aka RHEL 6),
    Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.0, Windows 7 and windows XP plus Linux Mint 10
    in assorted VirtualBox environments. It works. I've got Oracle 11.2.0.2
    running in the Oracle Enterprise Linux VM - and it's great because I can
    shut down the VM, saving the state, and when I fire it up again, the
    database runs on from where it left off. Brilliant!;-)

    HTH

    Cheers,
    Norm.

    Norman Dunbar
    Contract Senior Oracle DBA
    Capgemini Database Team (EA)
    Internal : 7 28 2051
    External : 0113 231 2051

    Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

    We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
    We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

    If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk
  • Tim Hall at Jun 20, 2011 at 10:51 am
    Hi.

    Sorry about the "me too" post, but I am currently using Fedora 15 +
    VirtualBox 4.0.8.

    I stopped using VMware Server (the free one) because the browser
    plugin wouldn't work properly with anything other than IE. I waited
    ages for a fix, then thought sod it and switched to VirtualBox. Never
    looked back.

    IMHO, Oracle on your desktop directly is a fail. I don't care if it is
    Windows, Ubuntu or Fedora. Yes it will install and work, but what's
    the point? You'll never use that in production so why bother with it
    for messing about? Use a VM and run Oracle Linux or RHEL as the guest.
    Then you will be doing something like "real" installations of Oracle
    and you ***won't be messing up your host installation if something
    goes wrong***. Added to that, if you back up your VMs, if you do screw
    up your host, you can reinstall it and your VMs will be ready to go as
    soon has you copy back the files. Much better than having to reinstall
    every product again on your desktop.

    Regarding your RAC installations, VirtualBox is good for that too.

    http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/11g/OracleDB11gR2RACInstallationOnOEL5UsingVirtualBox.php

    Cheers

    Tim...

    On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini)
[...]

  • Radoulov, Dimitre at Jun 20, 2011 at 12:28 pm