FAQ
Hello All,

Good Morning/Afternoon,

Hope every one is doing a good job!!

I had a problem yesterday,

OS:- SOLARIS

database version:- ORACLE 10G (10.2.0.4)

Task assigned to me was:- To create a replica of the Production database
from the cold backup to a test server, which could be used for application
team as testing database.

we have the backup taken using Netbackup, backup team missed to restore 3
file from the cold backup, I assumed all the files are restored and i
created the control file from all the files backup team restored to test
server(expect 3 files). database was opened using resetlogs and I also
changed the dbid of the database and database name too. After 2 0r 3 days,
application team complained that we see 3 datafiles are offline.
When i checked, I could see the zero kb files in the oracle home with the
name being as ($ORACLE_HOME/missingfileid).
I asked the BUR to restore the 3 files they had missed so that i will try to
rename and do a recovery, but was not able to do. It prompted that database
id mis-match error.
Finally I needed to clear all the files and ask the BUR team to restore from
start and was able to build the DB.

Do any solution exists for the above problem without doing a full restore
again. Kindly advise.

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks
Nilesh

Search Discussions

  • Andy Klock at May 16, 2011 at 2:05 pm
    The resetlogs was the problem with your data file restore. If this is
    enterprise edition you can do a tablespace point in time recovery or if
    standard you could have possibly done a datapump export of the
    tablespace(s).
    On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:39 AM, nilesh kumar wrote:

    Hello All,

    Good Morning/Afternoon,

    Hope every one is doing a good job!!

    I had a problem yesterday,

    OS:- SOLARIS
    database version:- ORACLE 10G (10.2.0.4)

    Task assigned to me was:- To create a replica of the Production database
    from the cold backup to a test server, which could be used for application
    team as testing database.

    we have the backup taken using Netbackup, backup team missed to restore 3
    file from the cold backup, I assumed all the files are restored and i
    created the control file from all the files backup team restored to test
    server(expect 3 files). database was opened using resetlogs and I also
    changed the dbid of the database and database name too. After 2 0r 3 days,
    application team complained that we see 3 datafiles are offline.
    When i checked, I could see the zero kb files in the oracle home with the
    name being as ($ORACLE_HOME/missingfileid).
    I asked the BUR to restore the 3 files they had missed so that i will try
    to rename and do a recovery, but was not able to do. It prompted that
    database id mis-match error.
    Finally I needed to clear all the files and ask the BUR team to restore
    from start and was able to build the DB.

    Do any solution exists for the above problem without doing a full restore
    again. Kindly advise.

    Waiting for your reply.

    Thanks
    Nilesh








    --
    http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
  • Mark Brinsmead at May 17, 2011 at 12:32 am
    does a solution exist for this problem?

    yes.

    RMAN. :-)

    it is too late for RMAN to help you on this recovery, but in the
    "lessons learned" category, it may be a good time to suggest using
    rman to manage your backups and recoveries going forward. the problem
    you face now could have easily been avoided with rman.
    On Monday, May 16, 2011, Andy Klock wrote:
    The resetlogs was the problem with your data file restore.  If this is enterprise edition you can do a tablespace point in time recovery or if standard you could have possibly done a datapump export of the tablespace(s).



    On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:39 AM, nilesh kumar wrote:

    Hello All,

    Good Morning/Afternoon,

    Hope every one is doing a good job!!

    I had a problem yesterday,

    OS:- SOLARIS
    database version:- ORACLE 10G (10.2.0.4)

    Task assigned to me was:- To create a replica of the Production database from the cold backup to a test server, which could be used for application team as testing database.

    we have the backup taken using Netbackup, backup team missed to restore 3 file from the cold backup, I assumed all the files are restored and i created the control file from all the files backup team restored to test server(expect 3 files). database was opened using resetlogs and I also changed the dbid of the database and database name too. After 2 0r 3 days, application team complained that we see 3 datafiles are offline.
    When i checked, I could see the zero kb files in the oracle home with the name being as ($ORACLE_HOME/missingfileid).
    I asked the BUR to restore the 3 files they had missed so that i will try to rename and do a recovery,  but was not able to do. It prompted that database id mis-match error.
    Finally I needed to clear all the files and ask the BUR team to restore from start and was able to build the DB.

    Do any solution exists for the above problem without doing a full  restore again. Kindly advise.

    Waiting for your reply.

    Thanks
    Nilesh









    --
    Cheers,
    -- Mark Brinsmead
    Senior DBA,
    The Pythian Group
    http://www.pythian.com/blogs
    --
    http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
  • Guillermo Alan Bort at May 17, 2011 at 2:05 pm
    Mark, I think I could hug you (not likely to happen, but I really liked your
    comment) ... oh, and "cold backups" (shutting down the database and using a
    OS tool to copy the database files) were backups in the 8i days... now they
    are just cold copies as they in no way guarantee recoverability (they didn't
    use to either but honestly, neither did rman...).... they are right there
    along the export in the "ways people who used to manage oracle 7 and now are
    managers and haven't touched an actual database in 15 years think database
    backup need to happen category". Since 9i there is no excuse not to use
    RMAN, even to disk, hell you even have a nice way to take an offline backup
    with RMAN which will guarantee you have everything you need if you don't
    want to have the database in archvielog.

    In any case, more to this problem, if you have flashback logs or rman
    backups you could try flashback database to before resetlogs, adding the
    missing datafiles and doing the resetlogs operation again, but you'd loose
    any changes since the original resetlogs...

    Oh, and RMAN has a neat duplicate function that can help you in creating
    sandboxes for developers and QA. We've been using that for some time and it
    works pretty well once you work out a few kinks.

    Disclaimer: No, I don't work for the RMAN marketing department... I've just
    had to recover way too many poorly backed up databases and know the value of
    a good backup.

    Cheers
    Alan.-

    On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Mark Brinsmead
    wrote:
    does a solution exist for this problem?

    yes.

    RMAN. :-)
    it is too late for RMAN to help you on this recovery, but in the
    "lessons learned" category, it may be a good time to suggest using
    rman to manage your backups and recoveries going forward. the problem
    you face now could have easily been avoided with rman.

    On Monday, May 16, 2011, Andy Klock wrote:
    The resetlogs was the problem with your data file restore. If this is
    enterprise edition you can do a tablespace point in time recovery or if
    standard you could have possibly done a datapump export of the
    tablespace(s).


    On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:39 AM, nilesh kumar wrote:
    Hello All,

    Good Morning/Afternoon,

    Hope every one is doing a good job!!

    I had a problem yesterday,

    OS:- SOLARIS
    database version:- ORACLE 10G (10.2.0.4)

    Task assigned to me was:- To create a replica of the Production database
    from the cold backup to a test server, which could be used for application
    team as testing database.
    we have the backup taken using Netbackup, backup team missed to restore 3
    file from the cold backup, I assumed all the files are restored and i
    created the control file from all the files backup team restored to test
    server(expect 3 files). database was opened using resetlogs and I also
    changed the dbid of the database and database name too. After 2 0r 3 days,
    application team complained that we see 3 datafiles are offline.
    When i checked, I could see the zero kb files in the oracle home with the
    name being as ($ORACLE_HOME/missingfileid).
    I asked the BUR to restore the 3 files they had missed so that i will try
    to rename and do a recovery, but was not able to do. It prompted that
    database id mis-match error.
    Finally I needed to clear all the files and ask the BUR team to restore
    from start and was able to build the DB.
    Do any solution exists for the above problem without doing a full
    restore again. Kindly advise.
    Waiting for your reply.

    Thanks
    Nilesh









    --
    Cheers,
    -- Mark Brinsmead
    Senior DBA,
    The Pythian Group
    http://www.pythian.com/blogs
    --
    http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

    --
    http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedMay 16, '11 at 6:39a
activeMay 17, '11 at 2:05p
posts4
users4
websiteoracle.com

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase