Anyone using the MS SQL Server plugin with Enterprise Manager and is there any costs associated with using it? (Licensing etc)

I looked on OTN and I can't find anything that indicates that you have to do anything other than install it but I wanted to double check.

Thanks,

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-663-1673
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.

Search Discussions

  • Rich Jesse at May 4, 2011 at 2:22 pm

    Anyone using the MS SQL Server plugin with Enterprise Manager and is there
    any costs associated with using it? (Licensing etc)

    I looked on OTN and I can't find anything that indicates that you have to do
    anything other than install it but I wanted to double check.
    https://shop.oracle.com lists it at $1800 per monitored server processor.

    I evaluated the plugin once upon a time. There were several shortcomings
    and bugs. IIRC, monitoring SS2K was problematic. I ended up writing my own
    basic plugin, but the complexity of expanding it to monitor the metrics I
    needed and the agent instability proved to be too much for the return on
    that investment.

    Luckily, I managed to acquire licenses for Quest's Spotlight on SQL Server
    Enterprise just this week. It has a few quirks like each metric has to have
    email notification setup separately, but much much nicer to monitor SQL
    Server than Grid -- AND NO BUGGY ORACLE AGENT TO INSTALL on every SQL Server
    box. It's agentless! YAY! Of course, YMMV.

    I'm wondering when Oracle figures out that it's pricing itself out of
    several opportunities...

    My $.02,
    Rich
  • Taylor, Chris David at May 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm
    That is weird. There's nothing on the Extension Exchange talking about licensing fees.

[...]

  • Goulet, Richard at May 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm
    Chris,

    We're using it on several SQL Servers. Version 10.2 I believe. It
    works, but if your using dynamic registration with SQL*Server then after
    each reboot of SQL you'll end up changing the agent's configuration
    because it doesn't like it. Static registration works fine though.

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Leader

[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle