Has anyone found a reasonably fast xwindows server? On my 32 bit windows xp
virtual machine I can get the oui to work reasonably fast, even connecting
to a data center 4 states away to do an install using putty and cygwin. But
when I run the OUI (or asmca or dbca for that matter) directly on my
desktop,which is windows 7 64 bit, and connecting initially with putty, its
just dog slow on cygwin or xming. Is there a faster xserver out there for
windows 64? Or maybe the problem is with windows 7 64 bit?

--
Andrew W. Kerber

  • D'Hooge Freek at Apr 19, 2011 at 12:45 am
    Andrew,

    I like the nxserver /client from Nomachine (http://www.nomachine.com/). I find it fast, easy and free, but it requires you to install something on the server.

    Regards,

    Freek D'Hooge
    Uptime
    Oracle Database Administrator
    email: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
    tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
    http://www.uptime.be
    Has anyone found a reasonably fast xwindows server?  On my 32 bit windows xp virtual machine I can get the oui to work reasonably fast, even connecting to a data center 4 states away to do an install using putty and cygwin.  But when I run the OUI (or asmca or dbca for that matter) directly on my desktop,which is windows 7 64 bit, and connecting initially with putty, its just dog slow on cygwin or xming.   Is there a faster xserver out there for windows 64?  Or maybe the problem is with windows 7 64 bit?

    --
    Andrew W. Kerber

    †Ûiÿü0ÁúÞzX¬¶Ê+ƒün– {ú+iÉ^
  • Jeremiah Wilton at Apr 19, 2011 at 3:14 am

    Has anyone found a reasonably fast xwindows server? On my 32 bit
    windows xp virtual machine I can get the oui to work reasonably
    fast, even connecting to a data center 4 states away to do an
    install using putty and cygwin. But when I run the OUI (or asmca or
    dbca for that matter) directly on my desktop,which is windows 7 64
    bit, and connecting initially with putty, its just dog slow on
    cygwin or xming. Is there a faster xserver out there for windows
    64? Or maybe the problem is with windows 7 64 bit?
    I can't explain the difference in performance you are experiencing
    between the VM guest and the PC desktop. But trying to display X
    windows across WANs has brought me nothing but pain and grief over the
    years. I pretty much use VNC exclusively when I need to display the
    server's desktop.
  • Juan Cruz Miranda Vigo at Apr 19, 2011 at 5:58 am
    mobaxterm