you please list briefly the steps to be taken?

John

Search Discussions

  • Goulet, Richard at Apr 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm
    Take a look at Metalink document ID 1075908.1 Just don't use the "FOR
    STANDBY" clause.

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Leader

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
    On Behalf Of john scott
    Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 1:42 PM
    To: oracle-l@freelists.org
    Subject: RMAN RESTORE TO A DIFFERENT SID

    I have an RMAN backup and need to restore it an existing database with a
    different name on another server.
    Can I restore this without using nid? Also the directory structure is
    different. If anyone has done this, can
    you please list briefly the steps to be taken?

    John
  • John scott at Apr 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm
    Dick:

    I think that one assumes that I have access to the original server. But I
    just have access to the backups and not the original database. I am sorry
    for not stating this earlier.

    Thanks,
    John
    Take a look at Metalink document ID 1075908.1 Just don't use the "FOR
    STANDBY" clause.

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Leader
  • Andrey dmitrenko at Apr 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm
    Check this
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmadvre.htm#i1007814

    You can use any sid, db_unique_name and directory structure, the only things
    should be the same are db_name and dbid.

    Andriy
    I have an RMAN backup and need to restore it an existing database with a
    different name on another server.
    Can I restore this without using nid? Also the directory structure is
    different. If anyone has done this, can
    you please list briefly the steps to be taken?

    John
  • John scott at Apr 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm
    Andriy:

    Looks like I didn't make it very clear earlier. Sorry for that. My
    intention was to restore it to a different db_name too. Do you mean to say
    that I can't restore the backup to a different db_name?

    Thanks,
    John