dear lists,

we had done impdp, and didn't do dbms_capture_adm.build before expdp.
but we noted the scn before expdp and specify that SCN during expdp.

so my question, can we set SCN for the capture process
by using dbms_logmnr.start_logmnr(STARTSCN...
... OPTIONS=> DBMS_LOGMNR_D.STORE_IN_REDO_LOGS);

we are in 10.2.0.1

--
thanks and regards
ujang jaenudin

  • Alex Fatkulin at Apr 7, 2011 at 5:13 pm
    The build is required for data dictionary build to be dumped into the
    redo stream which can then be used to populated the MVDD.

    If you didn't do the dictionary build then you won't be able to start
    your capture process (it will be in "waiting for dictionary redo"
    forever).
    we had done impdp, and didn't do dbms_capture_adm.build before expdp.
    but we noted the scn before expdp and specify that SCN during expdp.

    so my question, can we set SCN for the capture process
    by using dbms_logmnr.start_logmnr(STARTSCN...
    ...   OPTIONS=> DBMS_LOGMNR_D.STORE_IN_REDO_LOGS);
    we are in 10.2.0.1

    --
    thanks and regards
    ujang jaenudin
    jakarta - indonesia

    Alex Fatkulin,
    http://afatkulin.blogspot.com
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexfatkulin
  • Mark Van de Wiel at Apr 8, 2011 at 4:29 am
    If your table definitions have not changed since the import then you can
    use GoldenGate to capture all transactions since the import. You cannot
    tell GoldenGate's capture process (extract) to start at an SCN, but
    rather you use a date/time. If you want to process transactions only
    after a certain SCN then you can do so when you start the apply process
    (replicat).

    Of course, GoldenGate is separately licensed...

    Mark.
    The build is required for data dictionary build to be dumped into the
    redo stream which can then be used to populated the MVDD.

    If you didn't do the dictionary build then you won't be able to start
    your capture process (it will be in "waiting for dictionary redo"
    forever).
    we had done impdp, and didn't do dbms_capture_adm.build before expdp.
    but we noted the scn before expdp and specify that SCN during expdp.

    so my question, can we set SCN for the capture process
    by using dbms_logmnr.start_logmnr(STARTSCN...
    ... OPTIONS=> DBMS_LOGMNR_D.STORE_IN_REDO_LOGS);
    we are in 10.2.0.1

    --
    thanks and regards
    ujang jaenudin
    jakarta - indonesia

  • Upendra N at Apr 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm
    It is not necessary that you run the dictionary build procedure as long as there aren't any schema changes.

    You could try to set the instantiation SCN at the target site using the following procedure and initiate the streams:
    begin

    dbms_apply_adm.set_schema_instantiation_scn (

    source_schema_name => '',
    source_database_name => '',
    instantiation_scn => SCN########,
    recursive => true);

    end;
    /

    In most instances you may be successful, worst case if you see errors for a few objects, you could refresh only those objects.

    -Upendra
[...]

  • Alex Fatkulin at Apr 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm
    You do realize he won't be able to run the Capture process without
    executing the dictionary build first?

    This has nothing to do wit apply.
    It is not necessary that you run the dictionary build procedure as long as
    there aren't any schema changes.
    --
    Alex Fatkulin,
    http://afatkulin.blogspot.com
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexfatkulin
  • Ujang Jaenudin at Apr 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm
    according to bpolarsk, theoretically it is possible...
    http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=966766&tstart=225

    may be someone here had proved the theory?
[...]

  • Niall Litchfield at Apr 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm
    Ujang,

    As I read that thread bpolarsk is talking about determining if a data
    dictionary build has already been dumped to the redo stream to determine the
    furthest back in time you *could* create a new streams process from. This
    still requires a dictionary build to have happened at some point though.
    Streams needs the source dictionary for correct interpretation of the lcrs
    (and likely some other information as well).
[...]

    Oracle DBA
    http://www.orawin.info

  • Upendra N at Apr 8, 2011 at 4:26 pm
    See below a note from Metalink, which doesn't use build.
    How To Setup One-Way SCHEMA Level Streams Replication (Doc ID 301431.1)

    Worst case you can still setup Streams without build. If there were dictionary changes, you may see errors on a few tables, my suggestion is to rebuild/refresh only those tables.
    BTW, I'm not advocating building streams without build, I have seen more issues with it than successes.
    Unless the source database is too large that you aren't considering a fresh expdp, you'll save time going through that approach.

    With 10.2.0.1, you are likely to hit some serious bugs, you may want to look into the following note for the recommended patches.
    Streams Specific Patches (Doc ID 437838.1)

    -Upendra

[...]

  • Alex Fatkulin at Apr 8, 2011 at 4:32 pm
    And what exactly in this Note leads you to believe you can do it without build?

    In the steps described in this note the build will be implicitly done
    when capture process is created.

    It is clearly documented that you must do the build in Steams documentation:

    "When the new capture process is started for the first time, it
    creates a new LogMiner data dictionary using the data dictionary
    information in the redo log. If the BUILD procedure has not been run
    at least once on the source database, then an error is raised."

    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E18283_01/appdev.112/e16760/d_cap_a.htm#BGBFHAIJ
    On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Upendra N wrote:
    See below a note from Metalink, which doesn't use build.
    How To Setup One-Way SCHEMA Level Streams Replication (Doc ID 301431.1)

    Worst case you can still setup Streams without build.
    --
    Alex Fatkulin,
    http://afatkulin.blogspot.com
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexfatkulin
  • Upendra N at Apr 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm
    Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to explicitly running "dbms_capture_adm.build" at the time of gathering the initiation SCN.

    -Upendra
    Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 12:32:07 -0400
    From: afatkulin_at_gmail.com
    To: nupendra_at_hotmail.com

[...]