Hello All,

I have question with regards to EMC timefinder consistent split and Oracle.

I have 2 device groups

Data which has datafile, controlfle and online redo log AND

Flashback which has flashback and archive.

Now I establish and sync up primary and BCV devices, then just before doing
a split, I switch the logfile and do an timefinder consistent split only
data device group.

My flashback device group is still syncing up and accumulating new flashback
and archive logs on the BCV side.

Now assume that we have 4 new archive logs that has been generated after the
split of data DG.

Now I do an timefinder consistent split for the flashback DG.

Data and redo device groups are of point in time T1 while

Archive log and flashback logs are of point of time T2.

I mount the BCV volumes and do a startup. At time point oracle will do a
crash recovery and bring up the database as of point T1. � That is clear.

My aim is to also apply the archive logs generated between T1 and T2.

Now assume that instead of doing a startup, I do a startup mount and catalog
the new archive logs in the control file and then I do a recover database.
My question is will the new archive logs be applied by the recover process
and can I bring up the database as of time T2 and open it up with resetlogs.

Is this possbile..

Appriciate your help in this regard...

Thanks,

Sat

Search Discussions

  • Sathish balasubramaniam at Mar 29, 2011 at 8:51 am
    How would i do that...Do i do a startup mount and say recover database until
    cancel and start applying archive logs generated between T1 and T2 with or
    without cataloging in control file ??..Technically there is nothing to
    recover isn't it. It is an instance recovery situation.
    In that situation can we mount and say recover database until cancel and
    apply additional archive logs ??

    Thanks