Hi Friends,

I thought I will get some inputs on my following implementation. The
requirement is to audit some data changes with in the system.( Oracle 10.2
on RHEL 4.7 )
The audit is required in a sense that, the before images of data and
information of who changed the data is required. I have looked at options
like Oracle Auditing,FGA and so. But this cannot give me audit for the
data changes,when and who changed.

The first thing that comes into my mind are using triggers . Another
option is using log miner. I have successfully tested it out with both of
these approaches. The environment is like

1 ) For some critical tables for which audit is required triggers were
written ( ours is an OLTP application )
2 ) For some non critical tables, log miner which was called by a stored
procedure which runs at certain periods is used.
3 ) audit data is stored in a different schema, with same table names as
in base schema.

I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Thank You,

Kind Regards,
Sreejith Nair

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."

Search Discussions

  • Sriram Kumar at Mar 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm
    Hi,

    have you looked at flashback data archive?. Could be a good fit

    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/issue-archive/2008/08-jul/flashback-data-archive-whitepaper-129145.pdf

    best regards

    On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Sreejith S Nair <
[...]

  • Sreejith S Nair at Mar 28, 2011 at 6:48 am
    Few updates.

    Flash Back data archive provides a sound option to audit before and after
    images of data and is pretty easy to configure. It helps to find versions
    of data at different times data which was changed. But I could not see a
    field like CLIENT_ID / SESSION_INFO which is available in
    V$LOGMNR_CONTENTS which actually denotes the information of the client
    connection who changed the data.

    The AS OF TIMESTAMP queries will give the versions of data - but it
    doesn't seem to give who changed the data. To satisfy this it looks like I
    need to have a field in my table which holds the user who changed it .

    Another option which came was Audit Vault, but looking at the price below,
    I may have to think twice !

    Please put in your comments on this.

    Kind Regards,
    Sreejith Nair

[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedMar 22, '11 at 11:00a
activeMar 28, '11 at 6:48a
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Sreejith S Nair: 2 posts Sriram Kumar: 1 post