The password for TDPO can be stored using the old method which produced a file named something like

TDPO.-rman. To duplicate a database using RMAN backups to say node2. You have to copy the password file,
TDPO.-rman, to node2. This works well.

However, TDPO has "new" method of storing a password which is written to a file called TSM.PWD. The people who are responsible for Tivoli are happy with this new method, because they do not need to change the password manually. It will be machine-generated periodically.

The problem is that you cannot simply copy the file from one server to another. You can name it differently, but the problem, at least my best guess at it, is that the new method of storing the password includes the name of the node on which the fie was created.

The old method of storing passwords still works, but again is not liked by our storage group. We are doing more and more duplications. Has anyone figured out how to use the TSM.PWD style password file with the rman duplicate target command.

Ian MacGregor
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory--

  • Mohammad Rafiq at Mar 4, 2011 at 12:49 am
    Our B&R team suggesting to use LANfree backup for our larger Oracle databases (ver 10.2.0.4 and 10.2.0.r on Suse Linux10) sizes between 7 TB to 17TB.

    Our current setup is using TSM but we having issues for backing up larger databases.

    I could not find any doc on Oracle Metalink whether it works with RMAN or not

    Google search was not that much helpful.

    Any experience good and/or bad or any pointer for LANfree backup using RMAN.

    Regards
    Rafiq
  • Guillermo Alan Bort at Mar 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm
    I have managed databases backed up with LANFree (and actually restored two
    of them) and it works flawlessly and considerably reduces the time the
    backup takes. Your B&R team know what they are doing;-)

    Oh, and you'll still be using TSM, they just configure a different TDPO if I
    recall and change the server in dsm to the localhost and attach it to a Tape
    Library with a fiber channel

    It will also be nicer for your network as you won't have 17TB flying
    around... :-P
    Alan.-
    Our B&R team suggesting to use LANfree backup for our larger Oracle
    databases (ver 10.2.0.4 and 10.2.0.r on Suse Linux10) sizes between 7 TB to
    17TB.

    Our current setup is using TSM but we having issues for backing up larger
    databases.

    I could not find any doc on Oracle Metalink whether it works with RMAN or
    not

    Google search was not that much helpful.

    Any experience good and/or bad or any pointer for LANfree backup using
    RMAN.
    Regards
    Rafiq

  • ~Jeff~ at Mar 7, 2011 at 12:46 am
    we found LANfree useful mostly for avoiding tape head and disk pool
    contention in a busy TSM library (w/ dedicated GigE backup network)

    Though not TSM-specific, using Block Change Tracking and going through the
    RMAN tuning whitepaper were also both very helpful in reducing backup times.
    Worth a mention.

    HTH.
    Our B&R team suggesting to use LANfree backup for our larger Oracle
    databases (ver 10.2.0.4 and 10.2.0.r on Suse Linux10) sizes between 7 TB to
    17TB.

    Our current setup is using TSM but we having issues for backing up larger
    databases.

    I could not find any doc on Oracle Metalink whether it works with RMAN or
    not

    Google search was not that much helpful.

    Any experience good and/or bad or any pointer for LANfree backup using
    RMAN.
    Regards
    Rafiq

  • Mohammad Rafiq at Mar 7, 2011 at 1:08 am
    Jeff,

    Thanks for sharing.

    Regards
    Rafiq