FAQ
I don't have much experience using directories in Oracle (Oracle 10 on
Windows Server 2003). I've taken over an instance with very little
documentation. I don't believe any of these directories below are usable.

OWNER DIRECTORY_NAME
------------------------------ ------------------------------

DIRECTORY_PATH

SYS DATA_PUMP_DIR

F:\oracle\product\10.2.0/admin/starsdev/dpdump/

SYS WORK_DIR

F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/work

SYS ORACLE_OCM_CONFIG_DIR

F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/ccr/state

NOTE the combination of left \ and right / slashes. Maybe my predecessor
was trying to combine the best of Windows and Unix.

I'm not sure what they'd be used for and I obviously can't find them under
Windows. I'd like some confirmation that this is just plain bad data before
I blow it away.

Search Discussions

  • Holvoet, Jo at Feb 11, 2011 at 3:05 pm
    I believe that at least data_pump_dir and oracle_ocm_config_dir are
    created by catproc.sql (based on ORACLE_HOME), so I wouldn't just "blow
    them away". Not sure about work_dir.



    mvg / regards,

    Jo Holvoet





    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
    On Behalf Of Thomas Day
    Sent: vrijdag 11 februari 2011 15:47
    To: oracle-l@freelists.org
    Subject: Question about Oracle and DBA_DIRECTORIES



    I don't have much experience using directories in Oracle (Oracle 10 on
    Windows Server 2003). I've taken over an instance with very little
    documentation. I don't believe any of these directories below are
    usable.

    OWNER DIRECTORY_NAME
    ------------------------------ ------------------------------

    DIRECTORY_PATH

    SYS DATA_PUMP_DIR

    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0/admin/starsdev/dpdump/

    SYS WORK_DIR

    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/work

    SYS ORACLE_OCM_CONFIG_DIR

    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/ccr/state

    NOTE the combination of left \ and right / slashes. Maybe my
    predecessor was trying to combine the best of Windows and Unix.

    I'm not sure what they'd be used for and I obviously can't find them
    under Windows. I'd like some confirmation that this is just plain bad
    data before I blow it away.
  • Subodh Deshpande at Feb 11, 2011 at 3:10 pm
    from where did you get this...is instance and database runnign at this
    moment..on the said host..
    was it default installation, with flashbak enabled and
    configuration/connectto metalink...
    I prefer to remove the installation using delete database using dbca

    thanks..subodh
    On 11 February 2011 20:17, Thomas Day wrote:

    I don't have much experience using directories in Oracle (Oracle 10 on
    Windows Server 2003). I've taken over an instance with very little
    documentation. I don't believe any of these directories below are usable.

    OWNER DIRECTORY_NAME
    ------------------------------ ------------------------------
    DIRECTORY_PATH
    -------------------------------------------------------------

    SYS DATA_PUMP_DIR
    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0/admin/starsdev/dpdump/

    SYS WORK_DIR
    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/work

    SYS ORACLE_OCM_CONFIG_DIR
    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/ccr/state


    NOTE the combination of left \ and right / slashes. Maybe my predecessor
    was trying to combine the best of Windows and Unix.

    I'm not sure what they'd be used for and I obviously can't find them under
    Windows. I'd like some confirmation that this is just plain bad data before
    I blow it away.
    --
    ==============================
    DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY
    ==============================

    --
    http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
  • Thomas Day at Feb 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm
    So the right and left slashes are valid?

    On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Subodh Deshpande <
    deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    from where did you get this...is instance and database runnign at this
    moment..on the said host..
    was it default installation, with flashbak enabled and
    configuration/connectto metalink...
    I prefer to remove the installation using delete database using dbca

    thanks..subodh
    On 11 February 2011 20:17, Thomas Day wrote:

    I don't have much experience using directories in Oracle (Oracle 10 on
    Windows Server 2003). I've taken over an instance with very little
    documentation. I don't believe any of these directories below are usable.

    OWNER DIRECTORY_NAME
    ------------------------------ ------------------------------
    DIRECTORY_PATH
    -------------------------------------------------------------

    SYS DATA_PUMP_DIR
    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0/admin/starsdev/dpdump/

    SYS WORK_DIR
    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/work

    SYS ORACLE_OCM_CONFIG_DIR
    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/ccr/state


    NOTE the combination of left \ and right / slashes. Maybe my predecessor
    was trying to combine the best of Windows and Unix.

    I'm not sure what they'd be used for and I obviously can't find them under
    Windows. I'd like some confirmation that this is just plain bad data before
    I blow it away.


    --
    ==============================
    DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY
    ==============================
    --
    http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
  • Niall Litchfield at Feb 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm
    In a word yes. forward slash has been valid on Windows for years. (which
    helps when you forget which o/s you are on :) - until you then type ls -l :(
    ).

    DATA_PUMP_DIR is configured as part of the install - ORACLE_OCM_CONFIG_DIR
    is configured as part of the install of the Configuration manager collector.
    (CCR). WORK_DIR used to be used in a few Oracle supplied examples eg Note
    562899.1.

    It could be worse - this is my 11.2 play environment

    SQL> select directory_name from dba_directories order by directory_name;

    DIRECTORY_NAME

    DATA_FILE_DIR

    DATA_PUMP_DIR

    LOG_FILE_DIR

    MEDIA_DIR

    ORACLE_OCM_CONFIG_DIR

    SS_OE_XMLDIR

    SUBDIR

    XMLDIR

    with my particular favourite being the XMLDIR straight out of development.

    SQL> select directory_path from dba_directories order by directory_name;

    DIRECTORY_PATH

    e:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\demo\schema\sales_history\
    e:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\rdbms\log\
    e:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\demo\schema\log\
    e:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\demo\schema\product_media\
    e:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\ccr\state
    e:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\demo\schema\order_entry\
    e:\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\demo\schema\order_entry\/2002/Sep
    c:\ade\aime_dadvfm0250\oracle\rdbms\xml
    On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Thomas Day wrote:

    So the right and left slashes are valid?


    On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Subodh Deshpande <
    deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    from where did you get this...is instance and database runnign at this
    moment..on the said host..
    was it default installation, with flashbak enabled and
    configuration/connectto metalink...
    I prefer to remove the installation using delete database using dbca

    thanks..subodh
    On 11 February 2011 20:17, Thomas Day wrote:

    I don't have much experience using directories in Oracle (Oracle 10 on
    Windows Server 2003). I've taken over an instance with very little
    documentation. I don't believe any of these directories below are usable.

    OWNER DIRECTORY_NAME
    ------------------------------ ------------------------------
    DIRECTORY_PATH
    -------------------------------------------------------------

    SYS DATA_PUMP_DIR
    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0/admin/starsdev/dpdump/

    SYS WORK_DIR
    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/work

    SYS ORACLE_OCM_CONFIG_DIR
    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/ccr/state


    NOTE the combination of left \ and right / slashes. Maybe my predecessor
    was trying to combine the best of Windows and Unix.

    I'm not sure what they'd be used for and I obviously can't find them
    under Windows. I'd like some confirmation that this is just plain bad data
    before I blow it away.


    --
    ==============================
    DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY
    ==============================
    --
    Niall Litchfield
    Oracle DBA
    http://www.orawin.info

    --
    http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
  • Jared Still at Feb 11, 2011 at 5:56 pm

    On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Niall Litchfield < niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    In a word yes. forward slash has been valid on Windows for years. (which
    helps when you forget which o/s you are on :) - until you then type ls -l :(
    ).
    The rules around using '/' in windows appear to be a little convoluted.
    From the command line quotes must be used, and the final '\' cannot be
    converted to '/',
    as seen below.

    C:\Users\still>dir c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
    Volume in drive C is OS
    Volume Serial Number is 147D-03D3

    Directory of c:\windows\system32

    07/13/2009 05:14 PM 301,568 cmd.exe
    1 File(s) 301,568 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 141,430,095,872 bytes free

    C:\Users\still>dir "c:/windows/system32/cmd.exe"
    Volume in drive C is OS
    Volume Serial Number is 147D-03D3

    Directory of c:\windows\system32

    File Not Found

    C:\Users\still>dir "c:/windows/system32\cmd.exe"
    Volume in drive C is OS
    Volume Serial Number is 147D-03D3

    Directory of c:\windows\system32

    07/13/2009 05:14 PM 301,568 cmd.exe
    1 File(s) 301,568 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 141,430,083,584 bytes free

    C:\Users\still>

    This is just the command processer, cmd.exe.

    The DOS/windows kernels have always used '/' internally IIRC.

    Jared Still
    Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist
    Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com
    Home Page: http://jaredstill.com
  • Thomas Day at Feb 11, 2011 at 4:39 pm
    So I did a little research and found this (below) which is from the 10g SQL
    Reference. I suspect that the second paragraph under DIRECTORY should
    actually be under PATH_NAME. Oracle doesn't really check to see if the
    directory structure actually exists or is even valid under your OS. It's
    just a data string.

    From the CMD line:
    C:\Documents and Settings\tday>dir F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/ccr/state
    Parameter format not correct - "ccr".

    C:\Documents and Settings\tday>dir F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db/work
    Parameter format not correct - "work".

    C:\Documents and Settings\tday>dir
    F:\oracle\product\10.2.0/admin/starsdev/dpdum
    p/
    Parameter format not correct - "min".

    So I don't think that these are very valid even if some of them were created
    by Oracle supplied scripts.

    *directory*

    Specify the name of the directory object to be created. The maximum length
    of directory is 30 bytes. You cannot qualify a directory object with a
    schema name.

    Oracle Database does not verify that the directory you specify actually
    exists. Therefore, take care that you specify a valid directory in your
    operating system. In addition, if your operating system uses case-sensitive
    path names, be sure you specify the directory in the correct format. You
    need not include a trailing slash at the end of the path name.

    *path_name*

    Specify the full path name of the operating system directory of the server
    where the files are located. The single quotes are required, with the result
    that the path name is case sensitive.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedFeb 11, '11 at 2:47p
activeFeb 11, '11 at 5:56p
posts7
users5
websiteoracle.com

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase