I'm getting ready to upgrade our current cluster
from 10.2.0.4 to 10.2.0.5 (Solaris 64-bit).
The components being upgraded include
clusterware, RAC, ASM, RDBMS, and Dataguard.

In regard to the clusterware, we have a 2 node cluster.
In the patch notes, it states that all Oracle database instances
on all cluster nodes, must be shut down before applying the
clusterware patch. Later on in the notes, it states that a
rolling upgrade for the clusterware can be done. I'm seeing
conflcting messages here.

I've done rolling upgrades before with patch sets, but not with an upgrade.
I've contacted Oracle support about this,but they were of little help.

Can the clusterware upgrade be done in a rolling fashion ?

In regard to Dataguard. We have physical standby, 2 - node cluster.
From what I understand, the physical standby should be upgraded before
the primary database (in this case a cluster). Once that is done, the
primary environment is then upgraded.

Does the primary need to be upgraded at the same time ? Can it
be upgraded a day or a week later ?

thanks

ed

Search Discussions

  • Upendra N at Feb 2, 2011 at 9:42 pm
    I don't believe you can do a rolling upgrade of clusterware until 11.2.0.1.
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17128/chapter1.htm#NEWFTCH1

    -Upendra

    In the patch notes, it states that all Oracle
    database instances
    on all cluster nodes, must be shut down before
    applying the
    clusterware patch. Later on in the notes, it states
    that a
    rolling upgrade for the clusterware can be done.
    I'm seeing
    conflcting messages here.

    I've done rolling upgrades before with patch sets, but not with an
    upgrade.
    I've contacted Oracle support about this,but they
    were of little help.

    Can the clusterware upgrade be
    done in a rolling fashion ?

    In regard to Dataguard. We
    have physical standby, 2 - node cluster.
    From what I understand, the physical standby should
    be upgraded before
    the primary database (in this case a cluster). Once
    that is done, the
    primary environment is then upgraded.

    Does the
    primary need to be upgraded at the same time ? Can it
    be upgraded a day or a week later ?

    thanks

    ed
  • Jason arneil at Feb 3, 2011 at 9:31 am
    Hi,

    It is not to true to say you cannot do a rolling clusterware upgrade.

    This is very much possible. Here is a link to performing a rolling clusterware upgrade from 10.2.0.3 -> 10.2.0.4:

    https://jarneil.wordpress.com/2008/06/23/rolling-oracle-clusterware-upgrade-to-10204/

    You can also see from there how to do a 10.2.0.3 to 11.1.0.6 clusterware upgrade in a rolling fashion.

    Where you get the problem is that ASM is not rolling until 11.1, however this should not prevent clusterware itself being upgraded in a rolling fashion at 10gR2.

    cheers,

    jason.

    --
    http://blog.jarneil.co.uk
[...]

    From what I understand, the physical standby should be upgraded before
    the primary database (in this case a cluster). Once that is done, the
    primary environment is then upgraded.
    Does the primary need to be upgraded at the same time ? Can it
    be upgraded a day or a week later ?

    thanks

    ed
  • Martin Bach at Feb 3, 2011 at 10:57 am
    Good morning,

    Jason was quicker :) He's absolutely right, as far as I remember back
    Clusterware was rolling. I haven't used CRS 10.1 though.

    Here's an example for 10.2.0.1->10.2.0.5:
    http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/patching-crs-to-10-2-0-5/

    And another one for 10.2 to 11.2:
    http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/upgrade-clusterware-10-2-to-11-2/

    As a side note, you can defer the ASM upgrade during the 11.2 migration,
    but I wouldn't recomend it.

    No need to do primary and standby database(s) at the same time, but there
    is the implication that your environment is (slightly) out of sync which
    is known to irritate managers for a week.

    Regards,

    Martin Bach

    http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/
    uk.linkedin.com/in/martincarstenbach
[...]

    From what I understand, the physical standby should be upgraded before
    the primary database (in this case a cluster). Once that is done, the
    primary environment is then upgraded.
    Does the primary need to be upgraded at the same time ? Can it
    be upgraded a day or a week later ?

    thanks

    ed
  • Upendra N at Feb 3, 2011 at 8:00 pm
    Martin/Jason,
    Thanks for clearing it up. Learn something everyday. :)

    -Upendra

    I'm getting ready to upgrade our current cluster
    from 10.2.0.4 to 10.2.0.5 (Solaris 64-bit).
    The components being upgraded include
    clusterware, RAC, ASM, RDBMS, and Dataguard.

    In regard to the clusterware, we have a 2 node cluster.
    In the patch notes, it states that all Oracle database instances
    on all cluster nodes, must be shut down before applying the
    clusterware patch. Later on in the notes, it states that a
    rolling upgrade for the clusterware can be done. I'm seeing
    conflcting messages here.
    I've done rolling upgrades before with patch sets, but not with an
    upgrade.
    I've contacted Oracle support about this,but they were of little help.

    Can the clusterware upgrade be done in a rolling fashion ?

    In regard to Dataguard. We have physical standby, 2 - node cluster.
    From what I understand, the physical standby should be upgraded before
    the primary database (in this case a cluster). Once that is done, the
    primary environment is then upgraded.
    Does the primary need to be upgraded at the same time ? Can it
    be upgraded a day or a week later ?

    thanks

    ed

grouporacle-l @