the use of tnsnames.ora or do i keep the tnsnames.ora and change the sid to
service_name. Thanks in advance.

Search Discussions

  • Goulet, Richard at Jan 27, 2011 at 11:01 pm
    You keep tnsnames.ora and change the sid to service name or keep sid if
    you like.

    Dick Goulet
    Senior Oracle DBA

    From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
    On Behalf Of sundar mahadevan
    Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:42 PM
    To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
    Subject: Do I need tnsnames.ora to connect to the DB with dynamic
    listener registration

    Hi All,
    Sorry about this basic question. I can understand how dynamic
    registration works but does dynamic listener service registration
    completely eliminate the use of tnsnames.ora or do i keep the
    tnsnames.ora and change the sid to service_name. Thanks in advance.
  • Bobak, Mark at Jan 27, 2011 at 11:03 pm
    That's it. You need to use service name instead of SID. You really should be eliminating any use of SID. And, it's possible with some of the newer naming methods, like EZCONNECT or host naming, you can eliminate tnsnames.ora all together. They're probably not practical for complex environments, but for smaller, simple environments, it may work well.

    -Mark