Dear DB admin gurus,

I need some thoughts on this. We have a very large NOArchivelog database
11.1.0.7 RAC 20 node RHEL4, 300+T spread on about 50 tablespaces, we want
copy this to another RAC cluster RHEL5 30 nodes in a different data center
connected with pretty good network infrastructure between them. They both
use ASM of course.

We are probably allowed to be down on the source for about 48 Hours max.

So our aim is to parallelize(increase throughput by utilizing all the
nodes of both RAC systems ) the copy from one ASM to another ASM directly.
I want to know what techniques are available to do this. Few techniques that
came up in the discussion are RMAN duplicate database, dbms_file_transfer
via dblink to copy datafiles using transportable tablespaces technique etc.

I want to know if any of you out there did dbms_file_transfer between
databases and if you did, can you please share your experiences.

Any thoughts/pointers are greatly appreciated.

thanks
Deen

Search Discussions

  • Dd yakkali at Jan 20, 2011 at 9:13 am
    Subodh,

    thanks for your reply. The problem with RMAN backup ( whether cold or
    hot) is, the backup copies are created on a filesystem and we do not have
    that big space to hold the backupfiles, thats why the datafiles have to be
    copied directly to the target RAC's ASM.

    We are in the process of testing some of the speeds to check the feasibility
    of DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER

    Thanks
    Deen

    On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:44 AM, Subodh Deshpande <