Good evening!

I've got a question about ORION - is it possible to run ORION against ASM
disks? I have checked the documentation which seems to be 10.2 still and
it says no, but maybe there is some undocumented functionality in it? I
also assume that write tests, even if they were possible with ORION, are
still destructive.

Any pointers apprciated!

Martin

PS: 11.2.0.2 RAC on OEL 5.564bit

Search Discussions

  • Jeremy Schneider at Jan 12, 2011 at 10:29 pm
    I just finished running a set of ORION tests for a customer here in
    Chicago, and I've used this tool a few times in the past. I don't think
    there's anything ASM-specific about ORION. Generally you hand it block
    devices - without any form of filesystem. I think the test would be
    just as valid whether you intend to install ASM or a filesystem on that
    device. It's a pretty basic tool; just doing random I/O operations with
    the system calls and block sizes most commonly used by Oracle. Also it
    lets you vary the concurrency and block sizes, in order to get a sense
    for the capabilities of your I/O subsystem.

    Interestingly, my customer here gets better performance in "real life"
    (using SAR and AWR) than what the ORION benchmark indicated we should
    expect. (Though of course, it's still significantly less than the "raw
    throughput" capabilities of the disks, measured with dd.)

    -Jeremy

    --
    http://www.ardentperf.com
    +1 312-725-9249

    Jeremy Schneider
    Chicago

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJan 12, '11 at 5:15p
activeJan 12, '11 at 10:29p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Martin Bach: 1 post Jeremy Schneider: 1 post