Hi All,
Wish you all a very happy new year. I am trying to setup a 11gR2 non RAC
with ASM on OEL 5.4 I am having trouble setting up ASM. I have an ACER
laptop with 4GB RAM and 320 GB hard drive each. Would appreciate if you
could help me with the following:

ASM is defined as a feature. So is there a file system underneath or is
it working on raw devices? I did not find a straight answer for this.
To setup 11gR2 RAC with ASM and 11gR2 NON RAC with ASM, am I correct in
understanding that 2 separate binaries are required on 2 laptops/servers
meaning there will be 4 oracle homes: 1 for ASM, 1 for RAC binary, 1 for Non
RAC binary, 1 for clusterware
I installed a 11gR2 non rac binary successfully (just the software no
database). Now I am trying to install ASM with grid infrastructure
runinstaller. My disks are not detected at this stage. The default OS setup
came with 4 logical volumes and I created a logical volume LogVol04 of size
105GB to be used for ASM. I used iscsi initiator and detected it as
/dev/sdb. What am I doing wrong here. Should n't /dev/sdb1 be detected by
asm for disks? Please advice. Many Thanks for your help.

*Before iscsi initiator start:
*
root_at_sunny2 /root$ fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14 38913 312464250 8e Linux LVM

root_at_sunny2 /root$

*After iscsi initiator start:*

root_at_sunny2 /root$ fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14 38913 312464250 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/sdb: 104.8 GB, 104857600000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12748 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 12748 102398278+ 83 Linux

root_at_sunny2 /root$

root_at_sunny2 /root$ ll /dev/VolGroup01/*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jan 1 17:40 /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 ->
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-LogVol00
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jan 1 17:40 /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol01 ->
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-LogVol01
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jan 1 17:40 /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol02 ->
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-LogVol02
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jan 1 17:40 /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol03 ->
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-LogVol03
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jan 1 17:40 /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol04 ->
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-LogVol04
root_at_sunny2 /root$

Search Discussions

  • Sundar mahadevan at Jan 2, 2011 at 4:11 am
    Hi Sreejith,
    Thanks for the info on grid home. Yes, I installed ASMlib but are there any
    configurations to make the LUN as a candidate disk? So should I do it before
    I run the grid installer? Please confirm. Thanks.