The hyphen character may be problematic here. It certainly is for db links
and db domains.

On 3 Nov 2010 16:05, "Uwe Küchler" wrote:

Hi Dick,

that idea is not too bad.
Finally, my Ops folks decided to rename the servers using a simple naming
scheme that constrains names to 8 characters. The nuisance is that with
prefix and suffix (when clustered) only 3 to 5 characters remain to
distinguish the server.

BTW: Do you (or anyone here) know if this issue is solved in 11gR2? MOS
documents only say that the issue pertains to all releases up to 11.1, but
no document says if this got fixed in 11.2...

And, last but not least, here's a small test case to show that this
problem isn't strictly academic. I used utl_inaddr to resolve the server's
IP address:

$ uname -n
xx-myserver

SQL> select sys.utl_inaddr.get_host_address() from dual;
select sys.utl_inaddr.get_host_address() from dual

*
ERROR in line 1:

ORA-29257: host xx-myser unknown
ORA-06512: at "SYS.UTL_INADDR", line 19