Hi All,

I have a doubt during the dataguard configuration in oracle 10g.

We have primary server which is 32 bit Linux OS and 32 bit databae server
and standby server which is 64 bit Linux OS and 64 bit database server.By
using this DG configuration will it work properly.

Generally Standby database in mount stage.Once switch over operation
happened,Standby will become primary database.During this time wheteher we
need to run catlog.sql and catproc.sql at the new primary server side..

Regards
Krishna

Search Discussions

  • Surachart Opun at Aug 18, 2010 at 3:45 am
    If 32bit -> 64 bit... you have to migrate mode

    Switch to Primary

    SQL> alter database commit to switchover to primary;

    if the commit to switchover fails for any reason you have to use the
    activate command

    SQL> alter database activate standby database;

    2. start database(migrate mode, for 32bits to 64bits) by use nocluster

    SQL> alter system set cluster_database=FALSE scope=spfile;

    SQL> shutdown immediate;

    SQL> startup migrate;

    SQL> _at_$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlirp.sql

    Surachart Opun
    http://surachartopun.com

    On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM, KRISHNA MOORTHY
    I have a doubt during the dataguard configuration in oracle 10g.

    1) We have primary server which is 32 bit Linux OS and 32 bit databae
    server and standby server which is 64 bit Linux OS and 64 bit database
    server.By using this DG configuration will it work properly.

    2) Generally Standby database in mount stage.Once switch over operation
    happened,Standby will become primary database.During this time wheteher we
    need to run catlog.sql and catproc.sql at the new primary server side..

    Regards
    Krishna

  • KRISHNA MOORTHY at Aug 18, 2010 at 4:03 am
    Thanks for your reply.

    Switch to Primary

    SQL> alter database commit to switchover to primary;

    if the commit to switchover fails for any reason you have to use the
    activate command

    SQL> alter database activate standby database;

    After the above query execution The standby database will act as an
    normal database.I think again we can not synch up with primary database.
    2. start database(migrate mode, for 32bits to 64bits) by use nocluster

    SQL> alter system set cluster_database=FALSE scope=spfile;

    SQL> shutdown immediate;

    SQL> startup migrate;

    SQL> _at_$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlirp.sql

    ---------- Once i execute the above steps in my standby database server(64
    bit),
    sql> shutdown immediate
    sql> startup open

    Then,is it synch with old primary server.

    Regards
    Krishna

    Regards
    KRishna
    If 32bit -> 64 bit... you have to migrate mode

    1. Switch to Primary

    ------ After the above query execution The DR database will act as an
    normal database.I think again we can not synch up with primary database.
    2. start database(migrate mode, for 32bits to 64bits) by use nocluster

    SQL> alter system set cluster_database=FALSE scope=spfile;

    SQL> shutdown immediate;

    SQL> startup migrate;

    SQL> _at_$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlirp.sql

    ---------- Once i execute the above steps in my standby database server,
    sql> shutdown immediate
    sql> startup open

    Then,is it synch with primary server.
    Surachart Opun
    http://surachartopun.com

    On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM, KRISHNA MOORTHY <
    I have a doubt during the dataguard configuration in oracle 10g.

    1) We have primary server which is 32 bit Linux OS and 32 bit databae
    server and standby server which is 64 bit Linux OS and 64 bit database
    server.By using this DG configuration will it work properly.

    2) Generally Standby database in mount stage.Once switch over operation
    happened,Standby will become primary database.During this time wheteher we
    need to run catlog.sql and catproc.sql at the new primary server side..

    Regards
    Krishna

  • Surachart Opun at Aug 18, 2010 at 4:23 am
    In case, (migrate mode, for 32bits to 64bits)
    You should do after you failover database ....

    But... if you mean after startup standby database for testing....and then
    change to standby... again
    *Example:*

    SQL> select open_mode from v$database;

    OPEN_MODE

    MOUNTED

    SQL> SELECT THREAD#, LOW_SEQUENCE#, HIGH_SEQUENCE# FROM V$ARCHIVE_GAP;

    no rows selected

    SQL> shutdown immediate;
    ORA-01109: database not open

    Database dismounted.
    ORACLE instance shut down.
    SQL> startup;
    ORACLE instance started.

    Total System Global Area 217157632 bytes

    Fixed Size 2211928 bytes
    Variable Size 159387560 bytes
    Database Buffers 50331648 bytes
    Redo Buffers 5226496 bytes

    Database mounted.
    Database opened.

    SQL> select open_mode from v$database;

    OPEN_MODE

    READ ONLY WITH APPLY

    SQL> shutdown immediate;
    Database closed.
    Database dismounted.
    ORACLE instance shut down.
    SQL> startup nomount;
    ORACLE instance started.

    Total System Global Area 217157632 bytes

    Fixed Size 2211928 bytes
    Variable Size 159387560 bytes
    Database Buffers 50331648 bytes
    Redo Buffers 5226496 bytes

    SQL> alter database mount standby database;

    Database altered.

    SQL> select open_mode from v$database;

    OPEN_MODE

    MOUNTED

    Surachart Opun
    http://surachartopun.com

    On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM, KRISHNA MOORTHY
[...]

  • Kenneth Naim at Aug 18, 2010 at 5:16 am
    I have a query that needs to read 25% of a 100gb (116 million row, 600
    columns) table which has been recently analyzed. The database is 11.1.0.7,
    sga is 35gb, pga 15gb, solaris, 16 cpus, 16k blocksize.

    The query only accesses one table. When run single threaded or in parallel
    the query runs for hours with the top wait event being db file sequential
    read not sequential reads with the p3 showing 1 block. I have checked the
    explain plan, rowsource in a tkrpof-ed trace file, the v$sql_plan all show
    full table scan. I've specified a full hint with the correct alias and I'm
    at a loss on why I'm not seeing a multiblock read.

    I've even simplified the case to be ctas * from big_table where
    rownum<1000000 and it still does single block reads.

    Anyone has ideas to why this could be happening?

    Ken
  • Kenneth Naim at Aug 18, 2010 at 12:57 pm
    The tablespace parameters are

    LOGGING

    ONLINE

    PERMANENT

    EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL UNIFORM SIZE 256K

    BLOCKSIZE 16K

    SEGMENT SPACE MANAGEMENT AUTO

    FLASHBACK ON;

    Db block size is 16k

    And db_file_nultiblock_read_count is unset in the spfile and is 64 in
    v$parameter.

    Thanks,

    Ken

    Can you provide the configuration for the tablespace(s) that this table is
    in? Also please provide the block size and the value of the
    db_file_multiblock_read_count init parameter.

    Thanks

    Matt

    I have a query that needs to read 25% of a 100gb (116 million row, 600
    columns) table which has been recently analyzed. The database is 11.1.0.7,
    sga is 35gb, pga 15gb, solaris, 16 cpus, 16k blocksize.

    The query only accesses one table. When run single threaded or in parallel
    the query runs for hours with the top wait event being db file sequential
    read not sequential reads with the p3 showing 1 block. I have checked the
    explain plan, rowsource in a tkrpof-ed trace file, the v$sql_plan all show
    full table scan. I've specified a full hint with the correct alias and I'm
    at a loss on why I'm not seeing a multiblock read.

    I've even simplified the case to be ctas * from big_table where
    rownum<1000000 and it still does single block reads.

    Anyone has ideas to why this could be happening?

    Ken
  • April Sims at Aug 18, 2010 at 1:34 pm
    Krishna,

    I have tested this type of configuration but not in a production
    environment..see the following Document on MOS.

    Data Guard Support for Heterogeneous Primary and Physical Standbys in
    Same Data Guard Configuration [ID 413484.1]

    You will have to convert the word size to bring up a database (failover
    or switchover) from 32-bit to 64-bit or vice versa.

    Changing between 32-bit and 64-bit Word Sizes [ID 62290.1]

    April Sims
    SELECT IOUG Contributing Editor
    http://aprilcsims.wordpress.com
    http://www.twitter.com/aprilcsims
    Oracle Database 11g – Underground Advice for Database Administrators
    https://www.packtpub.com/oracle-11g-database-implementations-guide/book
    OCP 8i, 9i, 10g DBA
    Southern Utah University
    sims_at_suu.edu
    940-484-4276
    KRISHNA MOORTHY 8/17/2010 10:33 PM >>>
    Hi All,
    I have a doubt during the dataguard configuration in oracle 10g.
    1) We have primary server which is 32 bit Linux OS and 32 bit databae
    server and standby server which is 64 bit Linux OS and 64 bit database
    server.By using this DG configuration will it work properly.
    2) Generally Standby database in mount stage.Once switch over operation
    happened,Standby will become primary database.During this time wheteher
    we need to run catlog.sql and catproc.sql at the new primary server
    side..
    Regards
    Krishna
  • KRISHNA MOORTHY at Aug 20, 2010 at 1:51 am
    Thanks for all reply.

[...]

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedAug 18, '10 at 3:33a