From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
On Behalf Of Mahadevan, Sundar
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 10:23 AM
To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
Subject: Importance of local bin directory while running root.sh

Hi All,

Good morning. While running root.sh as root during binary installation
(any version), the questions below come up. What is the importance of
/usr/local/bin? My understanding is that the value should be the
$ORACLE_HOME/bin instead of /usr/local/bin. Am I right? When there are
many ORACLE_HOME with different versions(lets say 9i, 10g and 11g), what
impact does it have on the setting of local bin directory location?
Ideally speaking, do I have to set them to their respective
$ORACLE_HOME/bin ? Many Thanks for your help.

# /opt/oracle/products/9208/root.sh

Running Oracle9 root.sh script...

The following environment variables are set as:

ORACLE_OWNER= oracle

ORACLE_HOME= /opt/oracle/products/9208

Enter the full pathname of the local bin directory: [/usr/local/bin]:

The file "dbhome" already exists in /usr/local/bin. Overwrite it? (y/n)
[n]:

The file "oraenv" already exists in /usr/local/bin. Overwrite it? (y/n)
[n]: y

Copying oraenv to /usr/local/bin ...

The file "coraenv" already exists in /usr/local/bin. Overwrite it?
(y/n) [n]: y

Copying coraenv to /usr/local/bin ...

Adding entry to /var/opt/oracle/oratab file...

Entries will be added to the /var/opt/oracle/oratab file as needed by

Database Configuration Assistant when a database is created

Finished running generic part of root.sh script.

Now product-specific root actions will be performed.

--Sundar

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

E-mails are not encrypted and cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities
or related financial instruments.

UBS reserves the right to retain all messages. Messages are protected
and accessed only in legally justified cases.

Search Discussions

  • Mahadevan, Sundar at Jul 16, 2010 at 4:34 pm
    Thanks for your input, Paul. I donot see a version number in dbhome, oraenv and coraenv but the header has a date as to when this script was created. Do these scripts have any code changes between versions? In that case, replacing a 9i dbhome, oraenv and coraenv with a 10g installation should be ok but not otherwise? What are your comments?

    --Sundar

    The local bin directory (/usr/local/bin or whatever) does not refer to an ORACLE_HOME directory; rather, it identifies a directory for executables and binaries used system-wide that aren't part of the vendor's system software. The files dbhome and oraenv are shell scripts that are used to set one's environment to a particular ORACLE_HOME on a server.

    Paul Baumgartel
    UBS AG

    IB Accounting Solutions
    400 Atlantic Street

[...]