I have installed Oracle 11G under Windows XP and I've seen that for the current database it was installed as DEDICATED, but I want to set it as SHARED.
Is it possible?

I've used Database Configuration Assistant and I changed its type to SHARED, it told that the changes were successfully, but then I've seen that in tnsnames.ora the server still appears as DEDICATED.

Is it ok (it keeps these settings somewhere else) or I need to do something else in order to make this change?

I try to set it as SHARED because I use the Oracle under Windows only for testing purposes and I want it to consume as few resources as possible.

Here is the relevant part of tnsnames.ora:

ORCL =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = orcl)

)
)

Thank you.

Octavian

Search Discussions

  • Martin Berger at Jul 12, 2010 at 5:56 am
    Octavian,
    because it takes minutes until I can really use Windows after the
    computer starts.
    I assume you are searching the wrong direction:

    Your first goal is to make the Server startup time faster. As allways,
    there are some questions:
    1) how long do you the sytem max. expect from power-on to ready-to-
    use? 10 sec? 1 min? 3 min? 15 min?
    2) have you measured the total startup-time so far, can you count
    different periodes? (BIOS, OS, different services?)
    3) can you avoid it at all? (do not shut down the server?)

    maybe _after_ all these questions you will come back to shared
    servers, or you will need some high availibility solutions.

    hth

    Martin

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJul 11, '10 at 12:35p
activeJul 12, '10 at 5:56a
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Octavian Rasnita: 1 post Martin Berger: 1 post