caution: duplicate requires connection between the two servers.

Another option is (i'm guessing the backup is to disk):

copy the rman backup sets
start the new instance in NOMOUNT;
restore controlfile from 'backupset_name'
set newname for datafile # to '';
restore and recover database using backup controlfile
create redo log files
create tempfiles
open database using retelogs;

if you need to set a new name, use the nid tool to rename it after the
resetlogs operation.

hth
Alan.-

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Guillermo Alan Bort